What is the buzz about the super expensive Abyzz return pumps?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what the profit is on the pump??
Great question! Margins can have industry trends in general depending on the market. I'm sure we pay for the government's doll on import taxes, (that don't help) but it's hard to assume anything. If I was a betting man I'd say they were at the manufacturer level around 10-20% gross margin but I'm just making stuff up here. Only consistent high margins I've seen in manufacturing over my lifetime is in med device.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt believe the price either when I saw it. These companies know there are people who will spend money in this hobby, take any LED light. Put a high price and people buy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a truly huge tank, then the list of pumps that will move 5,000 gph gets short quickly. I'm talking 1,000 gallon tanks. For just big tanks, 500 gallons, there are plenty of options that don't set you back $2,500. I've been noodling over my next tank. Current one is 450, so an upgrade means 1,500 plus. Still probably would not go Abyzz. Remote fish rooms gives me less expensive options like dolphin or TMC.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt believe the price either when I saw it. These companies know there are people who will spend money in this hobby, take any LED light. Put a high price and people buy.

Not unique to this hobby of course LOL.

mikedb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an Abyzz A100 because I needed a DC pump that could quietly pump water from by basement sump to my 140G display. With the exception of Royal Exclusiv pumps (at nearly the same price), I don't believe there are any other pumps reliably (and silently) up to the task.

I started with redundant Varios 8's, which are specified for pressure applications (18ft). While they did operate successfully for several months, they were noisy, and had inconsistent output throughout the day (sometimes causing overflow noise). When I politely asked Coralvue if that level of noise was typical, they were kind enough to void my warranty, claiming that the Varios 8 is not suited to basement sump applications.

So, I purchased an Abyzz A100. It works very well, and is very quiet (but definitely not silent). I can't say I am overly impressed with the design, however- the impeller is held on only by friction, and must be removed to change several of the o-rings. When I reattached my impeller after a maintenance, it just spun on the shaft- I needed to wait for a replacement impeller from Coralvue. I won't be replacing those o-rings again...

While I concede that my application is relatively rare, I think the A100 suits it very well.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way. Alone it sounds like a lot BUT If your putting together a complete system (fish room, aquarium, stand, lighting, sump, plumbing, controllers etc) that requires a 4400gph return pump is say $15.8k really sounding like much more than $14k invested IF it's all its suppose to be? If you wanted it and didn't get it your going to regret it and not even miss the money especially if you aren't happy with what you got.
Where they become expensive is this: the ONE thing you should always have two of is a return pump (either as a back up or in the system so at least one is circulating if the other one fails). If they break you don't have time to be waiting for it to ship, come back in stock or pray you can find something locally. Thus that kind of money on a second "just in case" does get expensive.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Abyzz A100. Bought it on sale from BRS and saved 20% during the holidays. Super quiet! I have enough to be concerned about without worrying about the return pump. I will use the old sicce for backup but currently using it for water changes. It was tough to spend the money but my wife can now only hear the water from the overflows.

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many pumps over some 20+ years in the hobby. External, internal, dc variable, ect. Over that time frame I have easily paid multi times an Abyzz price tag. Would I stick an Abyzz on a 10 gallon nano... probably not but if one has a nice size tank and has the budget to do so I’d recommend them. No comparison of durability, warranty and adjustability. Are they for everyone? No. But if you are looking for a top notch, not to worry about return flow yes they are worth it IMO.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with two Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon pumps for my returns. I chose RE probably for the same reasons as others have purchased the Abyzz, though the Abyzz is more expensive:

- Build quality
- Silence. This was key for me as my sump is under my stand and in the living room. I cannot hear the return pumps at all.

I did have an issue with both pumps when I first installed them. They both had the same defective part. Royal Exclusiv exchanged them with overnight delivery no questions asked... that type of service is also reflected in the price.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gallon Display, 750 gallon total system ( filtration Room under tank in Basement ) seeing my head pressure is about 25 ft I needed something to push that water up to my display Tank while trying to maintain GPH outflow as much as possible so I always ran the reef flow Hammerhead pumps and really loved them as I never had a problem with them. having my 500 gallon tank set up now for almost 6 yrs I have gone through 4 reef Flo pumps I had one rebuilt and kept one running on my system, one day I came across a post here on R2R on a brand new Abyzz A400 ipu pump and purchased it for quite a awesome price! :) ! well once I received it and hooked it up........ WOW What a game changer!!!!!!! I would have paid full price for this pump now that I can see what it does. hell I can't even run it past 70% because of the power and that is with the pump pushing that water 25 ft high to my upstairs 500 Gallon Display. I love this pump not to mention the 10 yr warranty and OMG!!!! I can't even hear it and it does not even get hot.... my reflow pumps use to get very very hot to the touch. not to mention the power consumption I am saving yeah love that 300 watts at me running the pump at 68%. I have my newly rebuilt reflow pump hooked to my system as a back but I have a feeling ill never need it. LOVE Abyzz pumps! Just my two cents.

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Display that the Abyzz is giving awesome flow
DC04A206-DC8E-43B4-97B6-89AF8638534C.jpeg

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gallon Display, 750 gallon total system ( filtration Room under tank in Basement ) seeing my head pressure is about 25 ft I needed something to push that water up to my display Tank while trying to maintain GPH outflow as much as possible so I always ran the reef flow Hammerhead pumps and really loved them as I never had a problem with them. having my 500 gallon tank set up now for almost 6 yrs I have gone through 4 reef Flo pumps I had one rebuilt and kept one running on my system, one day I came across a post here on R2R on a brand new Abyzz A400 ipu pump and purchased it for quite a awesome price! :) ! well once I received it and hooked it up........ WOW What a game changer!!!!!!! I would have paid full price for this pump now that I can see what it does. hell I can't even run it past 70% because of the power and that is with the pump pushing that water 25 ft high to my upstairs 500 Gallon Display. I love this pump not to mention the 10 yr warranty and OMG!!!! I can't even hear it and it does not even get hot.... my reflow pumps use to get very very hot to the touch. not to mention the power consumption I am saving yeah love that 300 watts at me running the pump at 68%. I have my newly rebuilt reflow pump hooked to my system as a back but I have a feeling ill never need it. LOVE Abyzz pumps! Just my two cents.

How did you go thru 4 in 6 years and "never had any problems with them"?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that they are mostly for people who work backwards. They want to control something and/or DC and then look at quality and how the actually function. Most don't realize that controlling flow or DC is a joke (most DC pumps are technically AC anyway) when dealing with volume like this or else they would not look much past the good AC pumps that use less wattage, move more water and last just a long for a fraction of the price.

I love the 10 year warranty and it appears that most don't need it and the few that do have gotten great service. Need I remind anybody who was around during the late 2000s when many companies went under and so did their warranties - I have two large aquariums with lifetime warranties with companies that are no longer in business. At least I know that Askoll block stuff is going to be built and has survived many economic downturns.

If you need dead silent, then ok... maybe. Most of the expensive builds that I know of do not have living room pumps on them, so this is mostly a red herring. Most started with BRS quality stuff (Coralife, EcoTech, ReeFlo, etc.) and have since moved on to real commercial grade stuff like Dolphin, Askol, PanWorld/Iwaki, etc. Abyzz is in that second group, but if you think that an Abyzz at 20+ feet of head is outperforming a AmpMaster or PanWorld 250, forget about it. You cannot compare an Abyzz to a ReeFlo... not even close to the same level, but there are actually good pumps that last decades that you can compare them to and they still are not that much.

I would never bash anybody who purchased an Abyzz, but I also would not likely purchase one myself with the other options out there.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure it's super reliable and made perfectly. You have to think if you can afford this , you're not looking at price tags on most things . Most of us don't have that luxury. You think that guy with a 15k gallon tank is buying a sicce . It comes to a point where practical doesnt come into conversation when you're loaded. Once again I'm sure they're built to a way higher standard but theres always an alternative

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that the dude with a 15k tank is not likely buying an Abyzz either, unless the tank is not large. This pump is not large enough for the large tank market. This is an expensive, but smaller, tank purchase by somebody who wants the controllability or coolness of having DC and has not seen a Fluval or Laguna for under-stand type options or used a PanWorld/Blueline/Iwaki for head.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back