What is the buzz about the super expensive Abyzz return pumps?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I stumbled across these Abyzz DC pumps and the absolutely insane price tags that come with them.
I have run 2 eheims for the last 22 years and they have not skipped a beat.
Am I missing something here?
Who in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a return pump, the power isn't anything special.
I apologize if there is something incredible about these pumps that I am missing, but if I am not I would hate for new hobbyists to think that spending money on something like is even close to necessary.

Even in a commercial setting, there are FAR more affordable alternatives.

I imagine it is a great product, I certainly would hope so, looking for what it does beyond just being a great product.

You could pick an affordable pump and literally buy 20 back ups for the price of one of these things.

Last edited:

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford or Ferrari, both will get you from A to B in comfort, one is £20000 the other is £200000, is it really worth 10 times the amount? to some it is. The Abyzz pump has a 10 year warranty, it is quality built, the company stand by their product.
Me personally think that justifies the price to me.
For every Eheim that lasts 22 years is an Eheim that lasts a year or 2, you have been one of the lucky ones.
If you think it is overpriced then dont buy it, me i think it is worth the price.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ford or Ferrari, both will get you from A to B in comfort, one is £20000 the other is £200000, is it really worth 10 times the amount? to some it is. The Abyzz pump has a 10 year warranty, it is quality built, the company stand by their product.
Me personally think that justifies the price to me.
For every Eheim that lasts 22 years is an Eheim that lasts a year or 2, you have been one of the lucky ones.
If you think it is overpriced then dont buy it, me i think it is worth the price.
I respect it! I am one of those who buys "Fiji water" so I suppose it comes down to one liking/being comfortable with the product. I am putting a large build together this weekend and was thinking about retiring the eheims to water change duty.. :p

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get me wrong, i love Eheim, most of my freshwater stuff is Eheim, for me its really the 10 year warranty, and the fact that the company stand by the product enough to give it a 10 year warranty, is it better than other 'high end' pumps? probably not, i would have peace of mind knowing it 'should' last me 10 years.
Eheims are too classy for water change duty, that belongs to the jebao's :)
Am i being toooooo snobbish????

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the return pump is the heart of a system. when some guys sink 10g's in coral and fish they want assurance that they aren't going to lose it on a $200 quietone return pump.
i should add that i am definitely not one of those guys lol.
basically spending in hopes of unmatched reliability

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I stumbled across these Abyzz DC pumps and the absolutely insane price tags that come with them.
Who in their right mind would pay this kind of money for a return pump, the power isn't anything special.
I apologize if there is something incredible about these pumps that I am missing, but if I am not I would hate for new hobbyists to think that spending money on something like is even close to necessary.

I imagine it is a great product, I certainly would hope so, looking for what it does beyond just being a great product.

You could pick an affordable pump and literally buy 20 back ups for the price of one of these things.
I have a Abyzz A400 ipu, it wasn’t cheap but when you have $70k of high end corals and building a state of the art 550 gallon system I wanted quality. It also was about the only pump that could do the head pressure I needed for my custom AGE 210g display upstairs and be quite.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're really stunning pumps with a great warranty. I agree that they are pricy (personally went with Vectras) but I've not once heard of a single issue with the Abyss pumps and we sell them occasionally. A couple of the 600+ gal guys in my area got their hands on some and they're running like a dream

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the real value proposition is the large abyzz pumps.

I used to run alot of Reeflo pumps back in the day but it seemed these pumps would bust a seal and start leaking randomly. Even with annual replacement of the seals I would still have random leaks. I ran 6 reeflow hammerheads at the LFS I worked at for years and there was 1 leaking at least 4 times a year. Would I be willing to pay $2500 instead of $500 for no leaks less than half the noise and a 10 year warranty? Definitely.

Would I be willing to spend $1600 instead of $200 to replace a Sicce that never leaks, has hardly any noise, and a 5 year warranty? I don't think so.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about an Iwaki or Blueline that will run for 20 yrs
Push the same head and light even consume
Less energy
The biggest Iwaki is only 2000 GPH and they are very loud. I love Iwakis but I wouldn't want an Iwaki Model 100 in my living room.

Most of the Abyzz pumps I have seen in action are on large reef systems. I am talking 500 Gallons plus. These do exist. Often these systems are deciding between an Abyzz or a Reeflo/Ampmaster the Abyzz is way more quiet and has the option for Apex control if the pumps is being used as a closed loop. If a leaky seal could mean the floors of a multi million dollar house getting ruined then the price is already worth it. Combine this with the quiet operation and the Abyzz is a no brainier.

I still don't really get the value in the small Abyzz pumps. Small Iwaki's, Sicces, Eheims, and Tunzes are very quiet and reliable and don't leak so I don't see a reason to spend 10-20 times as much but on the large pumps you are only spending 5x as much and there is real value added from the Abyzz.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Abyzz a200 main return. I also have a spare Abyzz a200 to swap around. Both have 10 year warranties. They are also completely silent.

You pays your money....

And i also use eheim pumps the compactON 2100x3 for less critical tasks. Will they last 10 years. Maybe, but probably not.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Would Think of your a real G then you would
Have a remote filter room so You don’t have to have a filter under your 500 gallon

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eheim is also not what it used to be either.
Some are now made in China I believe so they may not be as reliable as the older ones.
Eheim are also not controllable.
Eheims are also not as silent.
If I remember the most gph for Eheim is around 900 gph at around 200.00. Abyzz lowest 2200 gph at around 1300.00.

I mean if you have a very large tank a Eheim wont cut it.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was not in Response to the video

2 Blueline 100 in a filter room
4000gph

$600

Runs forever

to each is own

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why some might like the abyzz

but for me with remote filter rooms it’s Blueline/iwaki all the way

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I think it's mostly Ryan from BRS yappin about them all the time and then all the sheoples follow suit.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be surprised how many 500 gallon plus tanks don't have a remote filter room. I never did alot of installations but I did 3 over 500 gallon reef tanks and they all had the equipment in the stand. It is hard to convince a business or corporate customer to build a whole room for the fish tank.

We really don't see these commercial installs on Reef 2 Reef because when you take care of the tank yourself the filter room is half the fun but corporate customers don't think this way.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back