What is the most peaceful dottyback species?

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, what are the most peaceful dottyback species? After doing some research, I came across that dottybacks are somewhat aggressive but my LFS (whom I trust greatly) said a lot of their dottybacks are very peaceful (orchid, neon). I was wondering if anyone here knows some of the aggressive and peaceful dottyback species.

For more context, I have a Nuvo 20 gallon with 2 frostbite clown fish and a small cardinal fish with lots of live rock for hiding spaces. I am looking into getting a dottyback of some kind!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Neon, yeah they're one of the meanest, but extremely colorful. This fish has a 14 gallon all to himself.

I have an Orchid in a 40 with a pair of clowns and an angel. Really mellow fish and just gorgeous.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid as well. Agree about @S2G that they are bold And won’t get pushed around too bad, and mine does not pick on any other fish.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orchid that was an animal and killed a shrimp and two fish. I added a pair of clowns, and they now keep it in check.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thanks for all the replies! Any fish can turn aggressive by chance but I just want to make my tank a peaceful place. I have a lot of hiding places for fishes to retreat to but I just don't want any issues with my two clowns (since I waited 6 months for them to be in stock!).

I will be leaning towards the indigo or orchid dottyback unless anyone else has other recommendations :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neons are not known to be peaceful

orchids, indigos, striped, and elongates are all known to be pretty decent community fish. that said they're still dottybacks. with your stocklist it'll be fine, but i'd make it the last fish in there. springeris are also known to be decent. sunrise either seem to be satan spawn or nobody sees them

i have an orchid that i'm holding off on putting in my DT until i can get some more peaceful rock based fish so he doesn't cause issues. plus i might want to add another dottyback :D

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. Dottybacks have always interested me and were the first marine species I bred and raised. Ime of keeping them, mostly for breeding, the fridmani is the best closely followed by sankeyi and their hybrid cross the indigo. I've never had an issue with springers and then you have sunrise which are a slight jump in aggression to sunrise before a much bigger jump to neons that can really be nasty. I've kept others that were really nasty.

I'd put fridmani on the level of a royal gramma, most are nice and play fair but occasionally one didn't read the memo and is a little pugnacious.

dotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. Dottybacks have always interested me and were the first marine species I bred and raised. Ime of keeping them, mostly for breeding, the fridmani is the best closely followed by sankeyi and their hybrid cross the indigo. I've never had an issue with springers and then you have sunrise which are a slight jump in aggression to sunrise before a much bigger jump to neons that can really be nasty. I've kept others that were really nasty.

I'd put fridmani on the level of a royal gramma, most are nice and play fair but occasionally one didn't read the memo and is a little pugnacious.
How would you compare yellow assessors to dottybacks in terms of group dynamic and breeding. From what I've read, assessors tend to be more peaceful although there are less breeding successes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bi-color

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you compare yellow assessors to dottybacks in terms of group dynamic and breeding. From what I've read, assessors tend to be more peaceful although there are less breeding successes

Assessors are very expensive over here so the most I've ever kept are single specimens. I've heard they do well in groups and that they are far more peaceful than your average dotty but I don't know the species that we'll personally.

Westernks reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orchid I use to have was one of the best fish in my tank. Beautiful color and had plenty of personality always out and about in the tank too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back