What is the most stressful part of keeping a reef that's supposed to reduce stress?!?

Does keeping a reef induce stress or reduce stress in your life?

• Keeping a reef ADDS stress

Votes: 70 13.3%
  • Keeping a reef REDUCES stress

Votes: 108 20.5%
  • A little of both! (please explain)

Votes: 349 66.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They say that viewing an aquarium reduces stress but I'm not so sure about that when it comes to us reefers!

Would you say that keeping a saltwater reef aquarium actually induces more stress?

What is THE MOST stressful part of maintaining a reef aquarium?

stress-level.jpg

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the most stressful thing is having all the expensive live stock in your tank and That at any time they could start dying. You may not even know why or even if you do know why you may not be able to stop it. I have not been there yet but the thought of having to go through that is terrifying

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVERYTHING!!! LOL!!!

It’s seems that every time my stress is reduced by something in the tank it is shortly followed by something that adds stress, lol!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
First of all..... I am liking these daily polls and im sure others can agree.

The only stress i endure is checking the tank throughout the day and hope Not to find something distressed or dead. Otherwise an admiration and stress reducer.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the tank is going well - all is well! When I discover a new invasive critter or algae some stress is definitely associated. The startup of the tank was the most fun, however stressful. Navigating through the ups & downs and finding the happy balance that my tanks are at now was stressful.. However, at the current time I am loving my tanks and sitting watching them and just the sound of the water while I am browsing R2R or my local club is super relaxing & zen.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is different, but at this point the reef hobby only adds stress to me. I feel like there’s too much inertia to just jump off now though. I stay for fear of how difficult restarting would be if I regretted quitting.
Why do you have so much stress? What's not going right?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the most stressful thing is having all the expensive live stock in your tank and That at any time they could start dying. You may not even know why or even if you do know why you may not be able to stop it. I have not been there yet but the thought of having to go through that is terrifying
Just like how a 2000 dollar tv or computer could just fry itself or an AC or furnace. You can apply that to anything in life. Whether it be a life essential or a luxury. Enjoy everything in life while you have it.. because unfortunately, you might not always have it.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Losing fish and livestock adds stress to my life, but also propels me to learn more and be better prepared next time.

SunFish6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that viewing an aquarium reduces stress but I'm not so sure about that when it comes to us reefers!

Would you say that keeping a saltwater reef aquarium actually induces more stress?

What is THE MOST stressful part of maintaining a reef aquarium?

stress-level.jpg
HaHa, same. I've learned to accept coral death...that helps.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Stressful:
-Keeping creatures alive, especially new acquisitions
-Disease outbreak - in fish or coral (had a recent Brown Jelly outbreak take out two torch colonies)
-Wallet diet

Stress Reducing:
-Watching the tank(s)
-Interacting with fish/coral via feeding/handfeeding

Hogdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress...being away from my mixed reef desk tank on weekends with no access to the building I work in.
Relaxing as I get to look at it all day at work. My FOWLR tank at home has been neglected..so a little stressed as I am not sure where I want to go with it.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on vacation gives me stress. Worrying about getting the tank ready for me to leave. Worrying about the tank while I am gone. Worrying about what I'm going to find when I open the door when I get home from vacation.

I should start doing staycations lol.

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question....

You can get a tax credit for having a tank in the waiting room of your business (e.g., doctor/dentist office)... apparently its been proven to reduces stress.

I definitely feel a sense of calm when I stare at my tank.

However, when it comes to "keeping" a reef tank as the question was worded, I feel like my tank is more stable than I am. I constantly worry about something going wrong. If I hear a noise in the house, I run for the tank to make sure everything is OK. When I am away on vacation, I worry even more.

My system has me on pins and needles for no good reason other than my own fear. Its such a big investment of my time, my money and my pride that I feel stress over the thought of something bad happening.

I need to learn to trust mother nature more in keeping things balanced since it is such a complex ecosystem and I don't fully understand how it all works.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back