What is the most stressful part of keeping a reef that's supposed to reduce stress?!?

Does keeping a reef induce stress or reduce stress in your life?

• Keeping a reef ADDS stress

Votes: 70 13.3%
  • Keeping a reef REDUCES stress

Votes: 108 20.5%
  • A little of both! (please explain)

Votes: 349 66.2%

• Total voters

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Poll & some really great responses. Perfect timing as I just finished cleaning my sump & sandbed, as well as perforing a waterchange and although I have a system that is easy and feel comfortable with, I felt stressed because I didnt want to put it off anylonger and have lots of work to catch up on.
This poll and timing made me realize that the stress is directly correlated to 3 major factors... The most important of all is
1. expierience/knowledge. Knowing how to recognize and deal with any issues that may come up and having done it enough to know it will all be ok is huge.
2. Time/time management. If you have the time needed set aside to do proper maintenance and checks you will catch problems before they are out of control and prevent alot altogether.
3. Finances/patience & preperation. If you have the system setup up to your available resources , and only jump in when you have enough to do it right you will be able to afford back up heaters & pumps and have the right redundancies in place to be able to relax.
But it all comes back to the first..Expierience & knowledge, as you will learn everything else (the hard way most likely) with the more of it you obtain.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that really cause me stress in the hobby are the unknowns.

If my corals die because salinity or alkalinity drifted, it brings disappointment but not stress.

When everything you know how to measure is correct, and an Acro RTNs on me, it stresses me out. When every single Ricordia in my softies tank, across multiple types, dies and melts away overnight while everything else is happy. When Montipora die every time I move them from tank A to tank B even though the two have identical parameters, as far as I can tell.

Just like gardening, my satisfaction in reefing comes from figuring out how these things work, to become a better gardener. I dont stress if this years tomato crop is bad or this coral dies. As long as I learn why, its progress.

If it remains an unexplained fluke, that is enormously unsatisfying and irritates my brain like a piece of popcorn hull stuck between my teeth that you cant pick out.

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the things that causes the stress is what creates the peace. The time spent researching or talking to fellow hobbyist on how to solve issues. Once issues start to resolve the feeling of accomplishment. Believe that reefing has taught me to be more patient and not rush things find the imbalance level it out and wait.

Chris_30gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell heartedly believe that it is a huge stress reducer, it does it for me especially after a long day at work! The stressful part is when your spouse asks how much was that? Or why is this not looking right? Those are pretty much the big ticket stressors, and then trying to figure out why something doesn’t look right or trying to figure out how much to tell them that it was purchased for.

Tenelen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MS and keeping a reef tank has helped me in many ways and it is relaxing to a large degree. When I am testing my chem, water changes, or even adding stock to the tank my mind is on the tank and not on my pain or issues. I have caught myself on many occasions just looking at my coral polyps swaying in the flow of the current and getting mesmerized by them. My mind drifting into my tank and away from out the MS is making me feel.

Now I am not saying it hasn't been stressful as it was a nightmare to get my RS Peninsula together after the tank was dropped, replacing parts, and a short in my heater, but in the long run its done more good than harm. The other thing that has been huge for me is not only the joy my reef tank brings me but the community as a whole. I find myself more social and willing to participate in events or even just hanging out at my LFS and shooting the breeze.

So for me it is minimal stress (significantly less than work) and totally worth it!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stress part for me is the no rhyme or reason on why some stuff does well and others don't.
I have sun corals and blasto's popping new heads, one piece of alveopra growing and adding many new polyps, but 3 other alveopora closing down. some zoas expand their range, others melt away.
last night we found many baby tiger conchs. that was unstressful.
:)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some stress comes with any hobby that is important to someone.

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a reef if going well, it's very calming. If something goes wrong (in my experience, usually algae problems) it gets stressful quickly.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about this a lot and come to the conclusion that focusing my energy and thoughts on this while I am at home even when something is not right with the tanks helps with the stress of everything else in my life. My husband's cancer, my nephew's suicide, my mother's failing health and the list can go on. But through it all I have this aquarium hobby (FW and SW) that just always reminds me that there is something beautiful in this world.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your comparison makes no sense. If my tv fries or my computer, home a/c, even my 50 thousand dollar car, or any other material possession it doesn’t matter they are just inanimate objects. Your tank is alive! That’s where the stress comes into play.
Tbh I think the stress doesn't necessarily come from the life lost but the money that the piece costed.. that's why I gave my reference. Each person can see something different through the view glass

Blackice615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viewing the tank along with occasional water changes relieves stress.

Corals randomly dying, introduction of new fish at the beginning, or pests add to stress

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a bit of both. The continuous challenge that this hobby throws at us is what makes it so interesting and engaging. If it was a setup and forget hobby then we won't even have this great forum. Ups and downs are bound to be there, it's just how we react to it.

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on which of my tanks we’re talking about.

My coral only pico reef is relaxing and has most of my favorite coral that I own in it-mainly lps. Barely any maintenance. A one gal weekly water change and I dose nitrates.

However my 37 gal reef with both coral and fish that one is giving me stress. Working on building my fish stock up to help with nutrients but I can’t get it in tuned yet.

E3718C49-EDDB-4E4F-B7A1-7076E1659C1C.jpeg

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept fish for 37 years, from seahorse to goldfish, I find none it stressful. When you except all things die, whether it's your fault or not. What I do find stressful is; the lack of common sense in today's fish keeper and reefers and turning a fairly simple process into a complex problem. When you have a question, find the answer on your own, don't rely on others and stop asking the same questions over and over and over....

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Financially stressful - wanting to do it really well costs plenty. Emergencies are stressful. New livestock is both exciting and stressful.
But overall it is a creative outlet, both in aesthetic and technical design.
And of course just sitting and watching everything is pleasant.

Salt_Creep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, its pretty much covered by the second post by BayouReefer. If your into keeping rare/expensive specimens its stressful that at any something could happen that kills thousands/10's of thousands of dollars before you can even react.

I guess they don't even have to expensive, just the loss of any specimen can leave you scrambling for answers.

Maybe a rusty magnet burst, your heater exploded, those hermits you added had flatworms, or your kid dumped that bottle of vinegar that you left out into your sump. A functional reef tank usually has taken a lot of time and money and it can be scary to think about how easily and quickly it can all take a dump.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number 1 factor of stress:
Ignorance. The not knowing what is wrong when things go south. It's enough to make some leave the hobby altogether, and the rest of us understand why they did.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back