What is the Next Big Breakthrough for Reef Keeping?

R1KO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish powerheads would improve. I hate seeing them in the tank especially the wires. Vortech is the easiest to clean but it would be nice to be able to direct the powerhead in different directions. Time for this patent to end or be improved.
Yes Indeed if we can have wireless pumps so that we dont need wires making our tanks look odly ugly lol. Or is that out yet because I dont know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A U T O M A T I O N : For many years, we did everything manually and we see everything automated and now computerized. We ask ourselves- what is next?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Indeed if we can have wireless pumps so that we dont need wires making our tanks look odly ugly lol. Or is that out yet because I dont know.

I guess it depends on the install. My reef is just a pane of glass on our wall, everything is managed from the other side, mp40s give me the wireless “look”.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the next big leap in reef aquarism, and maybe it's already close, is the understanding and control of the iron cycle in the marine aquarium ... it might make it possible to ward off at least three unwanted plagues: dinoflagellates, cyanobacteria, and nuisance algae.

Regards

Scott chilton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A affordable option for monitoring and dosing accordingly of the big 3 is right around the corner. I say 2019

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question asked was, “What is the Next Big Breakthrough for Reef Keeping?”. The question does not specify where. Perhaps an out-of-the-box answer might be, people take what the hobby is learning about coral care and apply it back to the oceanic reefs. What if reef keeping actually becomes islanders and shore-liners taking care of those reefs?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Yes if you went to the link in my post. [emoji3]
http://www.dymico.com/index.php

No water changes

DyMiCo efficiently removes waste products such as ammonia, ammonium, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate.

No additives

DyMiCo also releases calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate and trace elements to ensure vigorous coral growth and attractive coloration.
Suitable for most aquaria

Two versions are available, with a capacity of 700 and 2000 liters of system volume. A model for 3000 liter volume is in development.

Didn't see a link in your original post, just the youtube video. I did some research and it is basically a calcium reactor/DSB/carbon dosing in a box with "plankton safe pumps". A cool idea although they have some misleading claims. The no additives is not true because they say themselves that it is possible strontium, iodine, potassium and fluorine require addition several times a year but that the big 3 or metals dont usually require dosing. They say you can solve this by dosing or water changes. You also have to dose a carbon source into the reactor, and inject co2. So yea, there are additives and you may have to do water changes. Straight up lying really.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next breakthrough ... Adaptation in keeping & sustaining our current reef livestocks.
With all the present state of bans on corals & fish exports, I’d consider myself very fortunate if I’m able to keep it alive & maintain its longetivity.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food, micro- fauna,aquaculture, natural methods and biological advancements in balancing out the system as a whole.

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m biased, but I think it’s apps combined with 3D printing. Custom designing our tanks is already a thing. We neeed to start thinking about our aquascapes and plumbing in the same way.

Another space should could be amazong is wave machines. Like wave pools rather than the little fans we stick in our tanks now. I’d like to see the water hit the barrier like it does in nature. That effect could be tremendous. Back in the 90s there was some effort to create these type of fill a dump tray but I bet with some innovation it could go much further.

Nuclear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaculture in general. We're making huge breakthroughs in raising new species.
32781385_10103042704917311_3423647422394400768_n.jpg

We should start seeing new hybrids as well.

Hey, what are those blue ball looking things? They look cool!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back