What is the perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium?

Is there a perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 115 39.0%
  • NO

Votes: 77 26.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 96 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

Cyphastrea Cocktail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the perfect, all around, coral for a saltwater reef aquarium and why?

image via @TSA Corals and one of these is NOT a coral. :)

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.10.24 PM.png
Bizarro Cyphastrea.jpg
Id have to say cyphastrea. Never had any issues even when i had alkalinity spike which damaged all my montipora.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I think I have something everyone will agree with - "the one you can keep alive in your tank"
Yes!
The one you can keep alive and not have brown out - I’m managing to revive my Montipora spoingodes from browning and it’s going great, the feeling it gives me is so relaxing just watching the green fade into the coral again.

Last edited:

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have to vote Zoanthid. All of my zoa's are growing (with the exception of the Illuminati Zoa, won't grow and I have given up trying to get it to grow.)

20220514_163952.jpg

ReefJuice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Star Polyps. Very tolerant of water conditions, most lighting conditions, can survive higher flows they grow relatively fast, but not so fast that they'll take over your tank, so you can move them, they've got a great contrast in color. A lot of people are saying zoanthids, but some species can release a potentially lethal palytoxin. While it is rare, it's almost impossible to tell if your zoas have them or not.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you like is the perfect coral. Tanks are so different you could never have a best. What’s good for the goose is not Necessarily good for the gander

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octospawn (Euphyllia yaeyamaensis) They look fantastic, easy to keep, and it was the first photo in my aquarium that actually looked pretty cool.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koji Wada pink nephthea. Exquisite color and form, and easy to keep in spite of looking so delicate. I have 7 frags from 1" to almost 4" tall.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite not currently having one, I'd have to add my vote to Duncan corals.
Hardy, tolerant of many different light levels, movement,big fleshy polyps, very fun to feed (very quick feeding responses and eat like pigs), fine with different nutrient levels. Only thing I wish is there were more color variety...if a wholesaler ever comes across an exotic color strain like yellow or red, they will print money.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!
The one you can keep alive and not have brown out - I’m managing to revive my Montipora spoingodes from browning and it’s going great, the feeling it gives me is so relaxing just watching the green fade into the coral again.
For sure! Nothing beats a victory in this hobby. Similar boat here with a neon green. Dosed iron, lowered phosphates, added nitrates, fed consistently

Ponterbuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas for me 'cause that's what my daughters like and I (as a newbie) haven't killed any yet,,, doh!
For some reason I’m unable to keep zoa alive to save my life!! I have 15 in my tank now that are brown and shrinking so on the way out. I put high light low light and strong and mild to no flow I have very good water parameters so…………

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plating montipora. Easy to grow, fairly hardy, will grow in a variety of different light, inexpensive and often very impressive to anyone unfamiliar with reef keeping.
If it dies in your care you should be able to easily replace. If you need to frag just break off a chunk. Easy. Colorful. Inexpensive.

jimbo32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is yes I started my marine life with a fluval evo and first corals I tried were zoas and mushrooms so far 4 tank upgrades I still have them corals just a lot more of them also leather corals easy too grow and even a tank crash can’t kill them

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda Yes and mostly no. I do have a coral that I could say yes. The reason for yes is that it's high survival ability stamina when conditions are not good. This coral survived power outages of up to 5 days , dino's and alk swings. While other corals and fish have come and gone this coral survived and recovered. The name is a "starlet coral" similar to sea mat.( 20+ years and counting) Their is one more I have , Grand palys. (16+ years) All others as to be the perfect coral are subjective for me. I do have my Favs.
My Past Pics before 2014 154.JPG

Starlet Coral
My Past Pics before 2014 153.JPG

Grand palys
These are almost Newbie proof. well almost ha ha ha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back