What is this algae? How can I control it?

katakat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is in our 13.5 evo. Tank was cycled with clowns almost a year ago, once clowns died it became a home for snails and crabs. Since, we’ve added a few corals. We recently added a couple of corals and within a couple of weeks the tank is relentlessly covered in this sludgy green algae, it is literally LIFTING SAND. This growth is maybe a week after a deep clean (netting the sand, water change). We’ve tried to add copepods (per LFS suggestion) but have not yet seen improvement.

A few weeks before the insane growth and addition to corals, we switched from volcanic rock to the typical reef sand. could this be a factor?

Corals for the most part look okay and untouched, and I know smaller tanks are difficult to upkeep parameter wise. But, can anyone help ID and suggest ways to keep this under control? I’m just confused because we’re well past the “ugly phase” from what I could tell.

Thank you in advance!

4DB38C1C-64DE-49BA-A6A5-D3DC95D422C1.jpeg 51D267E2-F0A7-4A00-8C9B-8A493F10B45D.jpeg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have your phos and nitrate been at for the past week? Looks like Dino or cyano to me

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the changes you’ve done, it’s affected your stability and the uglies are coming back.

Check your parameters and keep them stable. Don’t do huge water changes and go slowly. You can add good bacteria, copepods and some phytoplankton. Be patient.

There are threads about the best bottled bacteria you can use. I think Microbacter7 is one of them but can’t remember the other one. Fritz9 maybe ?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back