What is this and can i add it to my reef.

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this goby blenny looking thing on the beach and I am wondering if I can keep it in my 75 gallon reef. Also do you know what this is?

OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_21731.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crested Goby, and if it came from Florida waters, they have very strict laws about taking anything for the waters.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crested Goby, and if it came from Florida waters, they have very strict laws about taking anything for the waters.
Pelvic fin doesn’t look right and neither does the caudal fin.

@Reef_da_reef can you get a pic with the fins extended?

As for keeping, as long as you have a normal fishing license, most species can be kept.

Here is the page from the regulations.

006151A6-C8E5-47CD-B4C8-019B94859385.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the replies there are a ton of fish over where I caught him from so I let him go and before I leave I will take one as long as the rules let me
The only blenny or goby you need to worry about for a reef tank is the hairy blenny. They will eat your hermits and shrimp. Most others are 100% reef safe. I have about 10 different kinds in my tanks.

Just be sure you have a fishing license. Even a 3 day counts for collection. As long as you have a license and it is not restricted in that list, you are good.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats it so is he reef safe?

Yes they are. I have 9 in my 180. They eat pods, frozen and pellets. They are quite funny once they get used to you.

In the wild, the eat pods, other very small crustaceans and fry of other fish. So as long as you have pods in the tank it should do fine until it decides to eat whatever else. They are very smart and it will pick up that it needs to eat what you put in, once it sees other fish eat it.

If doing multiples, make sure you have a ton of rock with hiding places. They will bicker until they find a spot, but they claim about 8-10” as their territory and only pop out for fish of their shape. Mine have never been aggressive towards other fish and their bickering is only pop out and chase a little when one gets close to another’s den. No nipping or anything.

OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are. I have 9 in my 180. They eat pods, frozen and pellets. They are quite funny once they get used to you.

In the wild, the eat pods, other very small crustaceans and fry of other fish. So as long as you have pods in the tank it should do fine until it decides to eat whatever else. They are very smart and it will pick up that it needs to eat what you put in, once it sees other fish eat it.

If doing multiples, make sure you have a ton of rock with hiding places. They will bicker until they find a spot, but they claim about 8-10” as their territory and only pop out for fish of their shape. Mine have never been aggressive towards other fish and their bickering is only pop out and chase a little when one gets close to another’s den. No nipping or anything.
Ok thx I brought him home and put him in this morning he ate with no aggression towards my other fish

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same as you. Found the same fish in a tide pool and brought him home. At the time, he was about an inch. After a while, he grew to the size of yours. I thought that he was cute. He would come and sit on the front glass when he saw me. Then, one day, I saw him eat one of my neon gobies. Other small fish started to disappear. One day, he saw that I was feeding krill to my ghost eel. He wanted that krill! The two of them got into a massive fight! He broke the eel's jaw. He lost an eye that got infected. Both fish had to be put down.

OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same as you. Found the same fish in a tide pool and brought him home. At the time, he was about an inch. After a while, he grew to the size of yours. I thought that he was cute. He would come and sit on the front glass when he saw me. Then, one day, I saw him eat one of my neon gobies. Other small fish started to disappear. One day, he saw that I was feeding krill to my ghost eel. He wanted that krill! The two of them got into a massive fight! He broke the eel's jaw. He lost an eye that got infected. Both fish had to be put down.
Update had to get rid of it killed 6 damsels and 30 crabs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back