What is this and is it harmful?

Nwebb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2021
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
Douglas
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this and is it harmful? Vermetid snail?
Came on some live rock From petco and on a snail.

F4394DF3-3245-44A5-ABCD-EEE835FA437D.jpeg 391066E0-6863-4440-9219-D275B4686701.jpeg 44B2CE8F-B43A-43DF-B241-73D30DB49DEC.jpeg
 
That is a Vermetid worm/snail. They spew a web like mucous that can irritate coral. Super glue over the hole.
 
Thank you! I threw the shell away and pulled the live rock and scrapped two off and inspected for more.
 
Thank you! I threw the shell away and pulled the live rock and scrapped two off and inspected for more.
That works to. I always find them after my tank is to far along to take rocks back out. I super glue the ones that bother corals and ignore the rest.
 
I just spent two days farming vermitid snails off of my rocks with a stainless steel straw, got about 30 or so. Now I'm going to invest in some bumblebee snails as preventive measure. I got 30, but I know there's more I can't see.
They are insidious.
 
I just spent two days farming vermitid snails off of my rocks with a stainless steel straw, got about 30 or so. Now I'm going to invest in some bumblebee snails as preventive measure. I got 30, but I know there's more I can't see.
They are insidious.
Do you know how they reproduce? I'm hoping removing the only 3 I had will eliminate the problem but we'll see if more pop up.
 
Do you know how they reproduce? I'm hoping removing the only 3 I had will eliminate the problem but we'll see if more pop up.
Yeah, the male releases their sperm in their web and the female filters it with their web and walla, we have an invasion. Lol
It's best to just stay on top of them with manual removal and in my case I just bought some bumblebee snails.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new