What is this? Dinos?

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,
So i cant get a photo because this algae or dino just started so its quiet small however, i managed to find a photo online of what seems to be the algae/dino in my tank see attached. I'm just not sure what it is. Is it dinos or "sea grapes" as the post where i got this photo stated. It looks like the photo but some are longer and more stringy and are not bunched up together.

dino.jpeg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,
So i cant get a photo because this algae or dino just started so its quiet small however, i managed to find a photo online of what seems to be the algae/dino in my tank see attached. I'm just not sure what it is. Is it dinos or "sea grapes" as the post where i got this photo stated. It looks like the photo but some are longer and more stringy and are not bunched up together.

dino.jpeg
Doesn't look like the common species of dinos to me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's are typically brown and look like snot with air bubbles trapped in it. I have never seen dino's be green.

Tank parameters?
Picture of your tank and the suspected algae would help proper ID. Not a stock photo from the net.

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's are typically brown and look like snot with air bubbles trapped in it. I have never seen dino's be green.

Tank parameters?
Picture of your tank and the suspected algae would help proper ID. Not a stock photo from the net.
Not sure if you can see the video or not but I tired to take a vid of it.
Alk- 7.8
Calcium-430
Mag-1320
Nitrate 5
Pho 0.1-0.15

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    65.1 MB

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can see the video or not but I tired to take a vid of it.
Alk- 7.8
Calcium-430
Mag-1320
Nitrate 5
Pho 0.1-0.15
The video shows a few things. I do see some reddish brown stuff similar to the very early stages of my current dino invasion. I misdiagnosed mine for two months and now it is off the chain. Whatever it is, don't wait for it to get crazy before you deal with it.
I think I would start with trying to suck it out and see if it comes back. Escalate with black outs and temp perhaps before jumping in with chemicals.
What does your clean up crew look like?

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anything that looks like dinos.

How old is the tank? The video looks like plain old new tank uglies, a phase that will just go away.
Hey,
The tank is only 2 months old started with dry rock too.
I have a better video. Please take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_8709.MOV
    25.6 MB

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
The tank is only 2 months old started with dry rock too.
I have a better video. Please take a look.

Videos under heavy blue light are difficult to make out; run full whites if you can when taking pics/vids so that we can see colors.

In any case, what you see in your tank now will soon be replaced with something else. Each month, some set of organisms will be overtaken by another set. Some will be red, most brown, some green. Some fuzzy, some hairy, some slimy. It is all very normal. Starting with live rock accelerates the maturation process substantially. Dry rock setups start settling down at the 12 to 18 month mark.

Just keep the basics as stable as possible. Salinity, temperature, and a little bit of nutrient (but not too much).

OP
OP
B

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos under heavy blue light are difficult to make out; run full whites if you can when taking pics/vids so that we can see colors.

In any case, what you see in your tank now will soon be replaced with something else. Each month, some set of organisms will be overtaken by another set. Some will be red, most brown, some green. Some fuzzy, some hairy, some slimy. It is all very normal. Starting with live rock accelerates the maturation process substantially. Dry rock setups start settling down at the 12 to 18 month mark.

Just keep the basics as stable as possible. Salinity, temperature, and a little bit of nutrient (but not too much).
I’ll attach a video before lights out. Yep I know new stuff will take over. Just don’t want dinos to over run the system and make my life a pain. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8710.MOV
    43.7 MB

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back