What is this fish?

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching this Youtube video of a Dutch hobbyist with 2 AMAZING reef tanks and saw a fish I have never seen before. Can anyone identify this fish (at 8:18) for me? Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-001507_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210617-001507_Chrome.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think yes on Engineer Goby. Peaceful great reef fish. Gets pretty big. I’ve seen them 10-12” long. They are diggers though everywhere, anywhere.
Will burry any corals on the sand or low on thr rocks. Great fish.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, mostly peaceful, but will defend its lair (they’ll dig out an entire area under your rocks with multiple exits. Juveniles look kind of different, instead of the vertical banding the adults have, the have a single horizontal/lateral line down their whole body and their tail comes to a point (adults have a rounded tail). Also, the juvenile’s stripe is white, while the banding on the adult can be an off-white, yellow, or whitish green. Cool fish though, they live quite a while.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's an Engineer Goby. Also called a Convict Blenny, which is interesting since they're neither a goby nor a blenny.

They're my favorite fish - I've got a pair now in my 100g. They start off as schooling fish in the open water, and then at come point change their coloration and migrate into the sand. As they grow, their patterns change and evolve.

There are huge schools of them in the wild. Check out this video.

If you visit you local fish store(s), you may have seen them many times and not realized it. I saw them many times before I learned what they were and how they changed when growing into adulthood. I rarely see adults (like in the video posted by the OP), but see juveniles quite often.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's an Engineer Goby. Also called a Convict Blenny, which is interesting since they're neither a goby nor a blenny.

They're my favorite fish - I've got a pair now in my 100g. They start off as schooling fish in the open water, and then at come point change their coloration and migrate into the sand. As they grow, their patterns change and evolve.

If you visit you local fish store(s), you may have seen them many times and not realized it. I saw them many times before I learned what they were and how they changed when growing into adulthood. I rarely see adults (like in the video posted by the OP), but see juveniles quite often.
The juveniles mimick coral/striped catfish, which are venomous. Kind of a genius evolutionary adaptation.

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its so crazy to me to think that most of the fish in that school will become "mini eels" and hide amongst the reef. Are the reefs in some areas just FULL of them?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so crazy to me to think that most of the fish in that school will become "mini eels" and hide amongst the reef. Are the reefs in some areas just FULL of them?
I'm wondering what the survival rate of those schools are. It could be that many of them are eaten by the time they make it to adulthood. I believe octopi, for example, have tens of thousands of offspring, but only several survive to adulthood.
Has anyone that has these Convict Blennies had them eat any of your shrimp or other fish? According to this site: https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/help-and-advice/marine/blennies-gobies/convict-blenny- "adults will eat ornamental shrimps and small fish."
Yes, they'll do that. They're not aggressive at all towards other species, but will eat fish that can fit in their mouths.

Back