What is this hitchhiker

  • Thread starter Thread starter op6rigo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Typically if they are on the glass, they are algae eaters. In 30 yrs, I have never seen one consume coral. I'm not saying some won't, but if it's on the glass, he's just trying to make a living.
 
Last edited:
Typically if they are on the glass, they are algae eaters. In 30 yrs, I have never seen one consume coral. I'm not saying some won't, but if it's on the glass, he's just trying to make a living.

I've seen them war corals several times. Had a perfectly healthy chalice and noticed one on the top of it. Pulled it offer and a Astrea shaped skeleton under it. The ones I see eat corals have reddish tinges on the top.
 
Let me guess, you probably have a somewhat large tank? (75+) If that's the case, the damage that these stars might be doing can easily go unnoticed. Recreate that same thing in a nano and throw a bunch of these in there... I think y'all might change your tune... (under the microscope so to say) JMO, GL.

On a side note; did you get that star to eat those stars?
The hundreds in my 29 have caused no issue at all
Typically if they are on the glass, they are algae eaters. In 30 yrs, I have never seen one consume coral. I'm not saying some won't, but if it's on the glass, he's just trying to make a living.
I have actually witnessed the complete opposite. A chalice I have would eat the asterina as they crawled over them.
 
I've had no issues. I suspect that tanks that experience an "explosion" have a nutrient level correlation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new