What is this hitchiker on my sympodium? Is it worth keeping or eradicating?

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230117_061857.jpg

I got this sympodium plug from a LFS. Turns out it has this bright orange hitchiker. Looks kind of cool but I am wondering if it is good or bad. If it is good should I try to separate it from the sympodium so it stops getting stung?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230117_061857.jpg

I got this sympodium plug from a LFS. Turns out it has this bright orange hitchiker. Looks kind of cool but I am wondering if it is good or bad. If it is good should I try to separate it from the sympodium so it stops getting stung?
That's most likely not an anemone you want in your tank (I'm not sure what type it is, but most people would probably just inaccurately call it "Aiptasia"), but hopefully someone who's better with anemones can give you a more specific ID. It would make a fun "pest tank" addition though. Also, the little spike jutting out just below and to the right of that anemone looks like a vermetid snail, which most people recommend removing now before they spread in your tank (I see at least two more, one on the corner of the frag block where the light and dark sides of the block meet, and another in the middle of the pic at the bottom - it's the red spiral thing close to the closed coral polyps at the bottom left of the pic).

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wolperthinger

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's most likely not an anemone you want in your tank (I'm not sure what type it is, but most people would probably just inaccurately call it "Aiptasia"), but hopefully someone who's better with anemones can give you a more specific ID. It would make a fun "pest tank" addition though. Also, the little spike jutting out just below and to the right of that anemone looks like a vermetid snail, which most people recommend removing now before they spread in your tank (I see at least two more, one on the corner of the frag block where the light and dark sides of the block meet, and another in the middle of the pic at the bottom - it's the red spiral thing close to the closed coral polyps at the bottom left of the pic).

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you for the info! I will remove the vermatids. Also thank you for the warm welcome!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20230117_061857.jpg

Looks like a halcurias anemone

Upvote 0

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230117_061857.jpg

That's a very cool looking hitchhiker! I'd keep it for it's uniqueness, but I kind of thrive on that in my aquarium.

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 75 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 73 29.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 54 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back