What is this? Id needed

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I got this growing in my tank the largest mass is growing on a rock which is under a cave like structure so doesn’t receive much light. Can someone help me out with id please?

8C737A4B-2586-4E4F-BD88-A8B6DEEB4BDD.jpeg 22365B62-3664-4484-9646-4BA948FE6EAA.jpeg 556AA5FD-9686-467C-8C35-E5EF8E0C87ED.jpeg

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that’s a type of sponge, but someone else would have to confirm.
Thank you
Have a look at some images of Cladophoropsis and see what you think. There are different looking types, so you will need to look at a few different pictures.
I always thought cladophoropsis was green wiry algae ? Under blues it look brown in appearance (the colony of them living in the cave area) but when under white light they look clear/white the ones growing under more direct lighting always look a clear/white colour

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

I always thought cladophoropsis was green wiry algae ? Under blues it look brown in appearance (the colony of them living in the cave area) but when under white light they look clear/white the ones growing under more direct lighting always look a clear/white colour
White certainly doesn't sound like it. It is hard to tell the color in the pictures. I have seen some of it that was more like individual bits and some that was flat looking, etc. Oh well, it was worth a try.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White certainly doesn't sound like it. It is hard to tell the color in the pictures. I have seen some of it that was more like individual bits and some that was flat looking, etc. Oh well, it was worth a try.
I still wouldn’t rule it out as some strands have the slightest green tinge to it.
Could be spaghetti worms or even vertamid snails. I’m lost waiting’s on others to chime in…

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried poking them and they just remain in place swaying in the current. I’ve also tried to turkey baster them out won’t even budge they are solidly rooted in the rock crevices.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I can get a majority Id of these things then my only option is to epoxy over them

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spread continues

1DE69E55-5465-4616-BA2A-BFC18CF26DF3.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move?
They just sway in the current. I’ve tried poking them with my coral target feeder and they just stay put no reaction at all. I’ve also tried blowing them off the rock with no luck.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned off all flow and no movement

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they spread to random locations, rip them out. If it continues,kill it with fire (or rather Kalk)
Yeah I was thinking of just smothering them with expoxy as the rocks in question are part of the main structure and have corals attached to them. I would literally have to tweezer them out one by one and that would take quite some time it’s not an invasion as of yet but there are quite a few I'm just curious to know what these alien things are no one seems to know :/

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell am keen to say a species of hydroid possibly

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are vertamid snails out the question as I have noticed a lot of clear film on my glass when the lights come on I’ve just assumed it’s dead cyano as have had a light outbreak which is clearing up nicely. I’ve always assumed it’s just dead cyano but could it be mucus webs that have stuck to the glass ? I have noticed a slight decline in my corals since this alien has appeared sps are fine but some of my lps have been a bit off. However I don’t notice any shells/tubes this stuff is rooted into the rock work

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back