What is this killing my hammers?

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby just about 3 years now and have had great success keeping and growing coral, but euphillia always seem to have a shelf life in my tank. I have always purchased euphillia as healthy single/double heads from both reputable online distributors and lfs'. Many of these purchases have grown to 15-20 head colonies and then they seem to wither away head by head. I have tried to combat this with varying pest and iodine dip methods with no indication that it is working at all. My tank has been consistently stable at the following parameters and I have never witnessed or tested any swings. There are no flat worms in my system and zero indication that any fish/snail/crab is doing any physical damage (I have watched the tank religiously and have even set up cameras).

Typically the corals will look and feed totally normal in the morning, but when I get home from work the mouths will look slightly more open than normal followed by deflation of tentacles as the lights dim. The following morning the flesh will be sloughing off the affected heads. No evidence of brown jelly on the heads either. This is a very quick process, from healthy tissue that is actively feeding, to seeing the affected heads a bit angry, to the flesh finally leaving the heads entirely is probably less than 15-20 hours.

Parameters:
- Salinity: 1.026 (Refractometer checked with differing calibration fluids before each use)
- ALK: 9.5 dKh (Hanna Checker, confirmed with standard)
- CAL: 450 ppm (Salifert)
- MAG: 1400 ppm (Salifert)
- Nitrate: 2.5-5.0 ppm (Hanna HR, confirmed with standard)
- Phosphate: .06 ppm (Hanna Phosphorus ULR, confirmed with standard)
- PH: 8.15 (Salifert - Remains relatively constant throughout the day/night (8.0-8.2))
- Ammonia and Nitrite both are zero and have never spiked since the tank was cycled (Salifert)

Recently, as in the last few weeks, I have lost 90% of my euphillia in what I am considering a mass death. I came to the tank every morning with the expectation of removing coral skeletons that had melted overnight. Christmas morning was hard as the final remaining head of the first hammer coral we had ever purchased finally met its end. Examining some of my old growth colonies I am finding very strange growth at the skirts of the skeletons that I have never seen before and I cannot find online. I brought one of these skeletons to my LFS and the owner had no idea either. Two of these colonies, that I've had for the past 2.5 years, both succumbed to whatever this growth is; it almost looks cancerous. Here are two examples of the growths on two different smaller colonies. As you can see, I was cutting the affected heads back as far as possible to attempt to eliminate any potential infection to healthy tissue, but this did not seem to help at all.

IMG-8906.jpg
IMG-8907.jpg
IMG-8908.jpg
IMG-8909.jpg
IMG-8910.jpg
IMG-8911.jpg

As of this writing I have only a two headed frammer, 5 headed frogpawn, single headed hammer, and a 5 headed torch left. All other corals are completely unaffected. Mushrooms, zoas, bubble corals, RFAs, favias, chalices, etc are all healthy and thriving. I am currently awaiting an ICP test so that I can send out samples of tank and RODI water to see if there is some kind of contaminant in the water that has been slowly building over time (heavy metals, etc), I just don't understand how euphillia, specifically hammers, are the only ones affected.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all my hammers in an eerily similar manner earlier this year. There's been some sort of bacterial thing going around wreaking havoc with euphyllia (mainly hammers) - and I've spoken with a few other reefers locally who've had hammers decimated as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been in the hobby just about 3 years now and have had great success keeping and growing coral, but euphillia always seem to have a shelf life in my tank. I have always purchased euphillia as healthy single/double heads from both reputable online distributors and lfs'. Many of these purchases have grown to 15-20 head colonies and then they seem to wither away head by head. I have tried to combat this with varying pest and iodine dip methods with no indication that it is working at all. My tank has been consistently stable at the following parameters and I have never witnessed or tested any swings. There are no flat worms in my system and zero indication that any fish/snail/crab is doing any physical damage (I have watched the tank religiously and have even set up cameras).

Typically the corals will look and feed totally normal in the morning, but when I get home from work the mouths will look slightly more open than normal followed by deflation of tentacles as the lights dim. The following morning the flesh will be sloughing off the affected heads. No evidence of brown jelly on the heads either. This is a very quick process, from healthy tissue that is actively feeding, to seeing the affected heads a bit angry, to the flesh finally leaving the heads entirely is probably less than 15-20 hours.

Parameters:
- Salinity: 1.026 (Refractometer checked with differing calibration fluids before each use)
- ALK: 9.5 dKh (Hanna Checker, confirmed with standard)
- CAL: 450 ppm (Salifert)
- MAG: 1400 ppm (Salifert)
- Nitrate: 2.5-5.0 ppm (Hanna HR, confirmed with standard)
- Phosphate: .06 ppm (Hanna Phosphorus ULR, confirmed with standard)
- PH: 8.15 (Salifert - Remains relatively constant throughout the day/night (8.0-8.2))
- Ammonia and Nitrite both are zero and have never spiked since the tank was cycled (Salifert)

Recently, as in the last few weeks, I have lost 90% of my euphillia in what I am considering a mass death. I came to the tank every morning with the expectation of removing coral skeletons that had melted overnight. Christmas morning was hard as the final remaining head of the first hammer coral we had ever purchased finally met its end. Examining some of my old growth colonies I am finding very strange growth at the skirts of the skeletons that I have never seen before and I cannot find online. I brought one of these skeletons to my LFS and the owner had no idea either. Two of these colonies, that I've had for the past 2.5 years, both succumbed to whatever this growth is; it almost looks cancerous. Here are two examples of the growths on two different smaller colonies. As you can see, I was cutting the affected heads back as far as possible to attempt to eliminate any potential infection to healthy tissue, but this did not seem to help at all.

IMG-8906.jpg
IMG-8907.jpg
IMG-8908.jpg
IMG-8909.jpg
IMG-8910.jpg
IMG-8911.jpg

As of this writing I have only a two headed frammer, 5 headed frogpawn, single headed hammer, and a 5 headed torch left. All other corals are completely unaffected. Mushrooms, zoas, bubble corals, RFAs, favias, chalices, etc are all healthy and thriving. I am currently awaiting an ICP test so that I can send out samples of tank and RODI water to see if there is some kind of contaminant in the water that has been slowly building over time (heavy metals, etc), I just don't understand how euphillia, specifically hammers, are the only ones affected.
Was there a change in light or water flow?
Often too much flow will tear heads off skeleton or weaken them as the polys should lightly sway and Not bend over the skelton. Too much light will cause loss of zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source which looks like coral is pooping but is not. Skeleton - They must have calcium no less than 380- best at 420 under moderate light and water flow. If any of these have changed - may be your issue

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Placard Flatworm eggs took out my torches. Very difficult to see and you have to manually remove. Dips don’t work.
No polyclads in the tank whatsoever. I year or more ago I purchased a torch online that came in with them. I manually removed and dipped in coral RX every 5 days for a few months and no other euphillia was affected after.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch is one of those corals I refuse to add or try again .
I’ve never had any luck with them and almost seams like you said” they have a shelf life “
Once one head starts to go . I was advised years ago to cut that head off and remove it from the colony as it will rapidly effect the others and spread .

hammers are different story . And always do well in my tanks
Weird !

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a change in light or water flow?
Often too much flow will tear heads off skeleton or weaken them as the polys should lightly sway and Not bend over the skelton. Too much light will cause loss of zooxanthellae which is their color and energy source which looks like coral is pooping but is not. Skeleton - They must have calcium no less than 380- best at 420 under moderate light and water flow. If any of these have changed - may be your issue
No changes whatsoever. One of the older colonies had been in the same flow/light since it went into the tank and was never moved. Tank is lit with 2 primes around 80% with diffusers and PAR has been checked at many locations on the rockwork.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No changes whatsoever. One of the older colonies had been in the same flow/light since it went into the tank and was never moved. Tank is lit with 2 primes around 80% with diffusers and PAR has been checked at many locations on the rockwork.
Any bugs you can see or other pests?

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bugs you can see or other pests?
Not that I can see. Every coral that I have removed has been dipped in RX and Bayer to check for potential pests and looked at under a magnifying glass to check for eggs/etc. It seems like more of a sickness/bacterial infection than a pest to me; its like they are melting from the inside out, just at an alarming rate.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I can see. Every coral that I have removed has been dipped in RX and Bayer to check for potential pests and looked at under a magnifying glass to check for eggs/etc. It seems like more of a sickness/bacterial infection than a pest to me; its like they are melting from the inside out, just at an alarming rate.
If it’s isolated to one head you can frag that head off and prey for the best for the others .
bjd is very common for these corals

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s isolated to one head you can frag that head off and prey for the best for the others .
bjd is very common for these corals
I have fragged large colonies when only 1 head is displaying symptoms and still have a 100% death rate. This is definitely not BDJ. I previously lost a torch and hammer in the past due to BDJ caused by excessive unidirectional flow causing initial tears in the flesh and this just doesn't look/act/present the same

OP
OP
N

NewReefer455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this type of growth? The white circled head is what I traditionally have seen, but the head circled in black displays the odd skeletal growth patterns I am seeing in these diseased heads.

InkedIMG-8908.jpg
InkedIMG-8907.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back