What is this on my hippo tang?

navvet8992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has been in QT for 3 weeks due to flukes in DT. Keeping DT fallow for another 10 days but just noticed this on one side of my hippo. Other fish in QT look fine. She eats a lot and swims a lot but worried about this white blotch. Any ideas??

IMG_2696.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has been in QT for 3 weeks due to flukes in DT. Keeping DT fallow for another 10 days but just noticed this on one side of my hippo. Other fish in QT look fine. She eats a lot and swims a lot but worried about this white blotch. Any ideas??

IMG_2696.jpeg

Did it show up suddenly, or grow in size over time?
What have the fish been treated with?

Jay

OP
OP
N

navvet8992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it show up suddenly, or grow in size over time?
What have the fish been treated with?

Jay
Noticed it yesterday. It was given a fenbendazole bath 3 weeks ago. All other fish look fine and hippo acts fine except for this white blotch. Could it be fungus infection?

OP
OP
N

navvet8992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing a final fenbendazole bath today followed by one more week of observation before putting back in DT. do you think she will be ok in the fendo bath with this skin irrigation? Or should i forego the fendo bath and treat with another medicine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing a final fenbendazole bath today followed by one more week of observation before putting back in DT. do you think she will be ok in the fendo bath with this skin irrigation? Or should i forego the fendo bath and treat with another medicine?
External fungal infections are really rare in marine fish, I’ve only seen a few cases over the years.

I’m not a fan of fenbendazole. I’ve had too many toxic reactions with some species. Tangs are ok with it though.

At this point, I’d say it is a bacterial infection. If it is in a treatable tank, you could dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or kanaplex.

Jay

OP
OP
N

navvet8992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External fungal infections are really rare in marine fish, I’ve only seen a few cases over the years.

I’m not a fan of fenbendazole. I’ve had too many toxic reactions with some species. Tangs are ok with it though.

At this point, I’d say it is a bacterial infection. If it is in a treatable tank, you could dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or kanaplex.

Jay
Ok are the other fish ok to stay in the tank as well or should i put them in another tank and just kanaplex the hippo?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok are the other fish ok to stay in the tank as well or should i put them in another tank and just kanaplex the hippo?

In this case, if it is bacterial, the bacteria infecting the skin are already present in the aquarium, so moving/treating fish that don't have any symptoms isn't needed.

Another option is to just prepare to treat it (but the medication, set up the tank, etc.) and then just watch to see if it grows, or if secondary symptoms show up. Some bacterial diseases are self-limiting, they go away on their own.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back