Hippo Tang with abrasions

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time owning a hippo tang. Brought it home about a week ago. It’s pretty much been hiding in this little hole in the rocks every day until yesterday. Yesterday it started to come out and swim throughout the tank. Today I noticed these abrasions on its side. I’m guessing it’s from hiding and rubbing in the rocks, but figured I’d check here. IMG_1025.png

Attachments

• IMG_1024.mov
    11.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time owning a hippo tang. Brought it home about a week ago. It’s pretty much been hiding in this little hole in the rocks every day until yesterday. Yesterday it started to come out and swim throughout the tank. Today I noticed these abrasions on its side. I’m guessing it’s from hiding and rubbing in the rocks, but figured I’d check here. IMG_1025.png
No, that’s not from rubbing on rocks - remember these fish have developed to living in sharp coral branches out on the reef, they are adapted not to get scraped up.
This is a bacterial infection. If it is growing larger day to day, you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic - tough to do, I know.

Jay

OP
OP
Steven9194

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that’s not from rubbing on rocks - remember these fish have developed to living in sharp coral branches out on the reef, they are adapted not to get scraped up.
This is a bacterial infection. If it is growing larger day to day, you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic - tough to do, I know.

Jay
Woke up today and the fish already passed
:( guess I didn’t catch it quick enough. I have the items coming in this week, so I’ll be ready if this happens again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back