What is this on my torch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe13374
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2022
Messages
38
Reaction score
9
Location
Cleveland
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what this is on my Torch. Its white and opens and closes every few seconds. Is this a pest and if it is how do I go about getting rid of it?

IMG_5372.jpeg IMG_5371.jpeg IMG_5367.jpeg IMG_5370.jpeg
 
A coral-boring barnacle:
That's a coral-boring barnacle; it's a filter feeder, so it's technically harmless (but large barnacles and small corals sometimes see issues).
They're usually not a problem, but they do generally cause a little, dead/deformed patch around where they're burrowed in (and that patch tends to grow as the barnacle does). It being that close to the mouth is a bit concerning to me, but I haven't seen it on enough LPS like this to know if it's an issue.

If you want to get rid of it, I'd imagine you would need to either crush it in its burrow or carefully inject something into it that would kill it - either way, you'd really want to be careful with it being in the coral.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new