What is this on purple monti plate frag ?

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These larger ones I have never seen them cast a mucus net. They ty;ically have small antennae that will stick out of the opening. There is usually a cap like a big tubo snail has that covers the opening.

If there is no "cap" on the tube, it is dead.
I did contact the coral company I ordered from and they advised it was a tube worm of some sort until I advised what our community here @ R2R had concluded they apologised that it had been missed. Not to sure what I’m looking for as I’ve never encountered this type before but looking at the pictures and in the tank itself I think it’s dead too as a precaution I may put some glue on the opening just to be safe. Thank you for the info very informative and helpful :)

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some ppl add a snail shell to encrusting monti plugs so they grow with a fun shape?
I don’t think this is the case the company advised that it was something that shouldn’t have been missed and issued an apology as I’ve had good experience with this company in the past I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt on this occasion the Acro frag they sent me for the money is massive

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is the case the company advised that it was something that shouldn’t have been missed and issued an apology as I’ve had good experience with this company in the past I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt on this occasion the Acro frag they sent me for the money is massive
While it may not have been missed. I'm guessing by the pictures, it is already dead( I see no cap, and the coral is already encrusting over), so it was allowed to leave the facility "as is"(was this a WYSIWYG coral?)

If you could get a top shot of the tube, Pretty sure we could tell if it was alive or not.

Good on the vendor for admitting fault, and taking care of it for you though.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may not have been missed. I'm guessing by the pictures, it is already dead( I see no cap, and the coral is already encrusting over), so it was allowed to leave the facility "as is"(was this a WYSIWYG coral?)

If you could get a top shot of the tube, Pretty sure we could tell if it was alive or not.

Yeah they’re pretty good tbh compared to others I’ve used in the past no it was not a WYSIWYG I’ll try and get a pic of the cap shortly.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1A26F7A2-65F7-4993-B20D-094D86796A03.jpeg
1A0D8FC7-CEB7-4D59-B243-D8F8DE34ACDA.jpeg

Struggling to get a good pic through d-d glasses and iPhone 12 Pro Max looks dead though ?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks dead to me too. Just keep an eye on it, if you see it opening up and some antennae sticking out, Then its alive lol.

FYI I have kept these guys for a while, they love reef chili, and reef roids. They don't seem to spread like the little ones we commonly see that cast a net to feed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back