What is this Parasite

SessaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Newbie here, purchased 2 Clownfish 10 days ago, lost female this am, she stopped eating and appeared to have ICK, showing white dots 1 day ago. We did a RO dip, and placed in quarantine tank but she didnt make it.

I have now caught and RO dipped Male, the attached image is what dropped off him - female had something similar

Male is no longer eating but is showing no external signs - this is the image of the parasite after a 4min RO dip - any help?

Water parameters all good, and stable Fish never good eaters but Male had a white stringy poo this eve, despite me not seeing him eat

All water parameters taken daily for last 10 days we purchased a Yellow Tang at the same time and all good with her, wonder if she has harassed the clowns?

Image-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SessaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you guys are going to ask my water parameters and what we did to set up this tank, so we have 300 litres tank with a 70 litre sump - we took it real slow and started this in April - the cycle was completed in May and we added some crew in june all perimeters whthin normal levels. We were going away in Early June so waited to introduce livestock until we got back - we introduced 2 clowns and 1 tang - the tang ate instantly but the clowns have always been finicky

water parameters

Saliniry 1.026
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 9
Phosphate 0
hardness KH 8
CA 430
Magnesium 1200

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Lots of kind and helpful people here.
With clowns, we immediately start thinking Brooklynella. Sometimes early Brook will represent like Ich. The white stringy poo is a symptom of intestinal parasites (worms).

A 90 minute bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally will treat Brook. An alternate is to treat with any metro product.
The intestinal parasites can be treated with General Cure in a QT. Or if you can get the fish to eat, you can treat in the DT by bonding metro +focus+food and feed directly into the DT. Just feed small portions and siphon any extra to lessen the chance of the meds leaking into the water column as possible.

OP
OP
S

SessaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, an update, he is currently still in quarantine tank (obvs), I have fed him twice today with garlic infused food and he appeared to eat it once it had rested on the bottom of the tank - (not sure if this is normal), but hey it looked like he ate which I'm taking as a positive. I hoovered up the debris - I have done tests and no ammonia in the tank but wondered what thoughts are on water changes - how much and how often?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back