What killed this angelfish in QT?

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angelfish was going through QT. I let him eat for 4 days. I notice it pecking but didn't eat that much. Afterwards I ramped up copper over 4 days to therapeutic without any erratic behavior, it was always hiding in the PVC. Later I found it in a arched position with heavy breathing. I did a quick 5min freshwater dip but didn't notice anything falling off. Gills were a bit red and stomach bit pinched but seen skinnier. Some discoloration on sides and white fluff under fin that doesn't blow off in FW. Never did meds for internal parasite so is that the cause? White fluff also seen near the butt.

IMG20231116180511.jpg IMG20231116180504.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angelfish was going through QT. I let him eat for 4 days. I notice it pecking but didn't eat that much. Afterwards I ramped up copper over 4 days to therapeutic without any erratic behavior, it was always hiding in the PVC. Later I found it in a arched position with heavy breathing. I did a quick 5min freshwater dip but didn't notice anything falling off. Gills were a bit red and stomach bit pinched but seen skinnier. Some discoloration on sides and white fluff under fin that doesn't blow off in FW. Never did meds for internal parasite so is that the cause? White fluff also seen near the butt.

IMG20231116180511.jpg IMG20231116180504.jpg

What type of copper did you use?
What was the test kit?

Red gills are good. The pinched belly is a concern, the fish is very thin, and these don't have a lot of food reserves.

Jay

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had enough angels (and other fish) start eating with in hours of adding it to QT I'd think it had a problem before I got it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 126 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back