What is this pest?

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this pest that was under my chalice coral? Chalic coral was completely destroyed in about one week. Found this under it when I took it out of the tank.

IMG_5465.jpeg IMG_5467.jpeg

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this pest that was under my chalice coral? Chalic coral was completely destroyed in about one week. Found this under it when I took it out of the tank.

IMG_5465.jpeg IMG_5467.jpeg
Bristle Worm!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, those are regular, basic bristleworms that are either hiding under the nice cover, or have come to eat the dead flesh.

Chalices just do that sometimes if you upset them sufficiently. They can go from looking okay to a heap of goop with shocking speed, particularly if they get damaged in shipping. Which they often do- their sharp skeletons cut them up from the inside.
(Edit: don't know if yours was recently shipped. It just came to mind as something I've seen them disintegrate from. You get a chalice that looks a bit damaged, think "oh, it'll probably heal up fine, LPS are good at that", and then, no, there it goes.)

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that Bristleworms are not the cause. Could we see the coral itself, also is it absolutely dead or there are still bits of flesh? I had a chalice that was almost entirely dead but it had small bit flesh that has begun recovering.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back