What is this purple algae on the rocks?

mikmeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cyano on the sand bed, but this stuff has taken over this rock and is beginning to take over the rest of the tank. On the hermits shells and any sold surface. I'm adding bacteria each day to try and outcompete it, or at least the cyano. I have a robust clean up crew. My blenny won't touch it. Have phosgaurd in and carbon. Tank is 5 weeks from being a year old. Only coral is the sad zoas and anthelia. Any idea what it is and how I fight it?

more pics here https://photos.app.goo.gl/gUUhbDNAkhNiyTVj8

20230222_185100.jpg 20230222_185104.jpg

pbjorlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What are your parameters? Do you make or buy your water? My recommendation is to turn off all the flow and siphon out as much as you can. Then get an urchin to eat some. But there has to be something off with your parameters, or your water source.

OP
OP
mikmeh

mikmeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Do you make or buy your water? My recommendation is to turn off all the flow and siphon out as much as you can. Then get an urchin to eat some. But there has to be something off with your parameters, or your water source.
Buy from local LFS.

AmmoniaNitriteNitratePO4KH/AlkSalinity
0​
0​
5​
0.25​
9.3​
1.025​

I should also add that I just killed off a tank full of bryopsis with reef flux. This algae took over and some cyano on the sand bed. I'm adding bacteria each day to try and outcompete the cyano. Also have phosguard and carbon in my filters.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy your SW from you LFS does it sit around for a while? I used to do that and had issues that I think were related to that. You might consider buy RODI from them instead and mixing your own fresh before a WC. That and your Po4 needs to come down not greater than .1 at least at this tank age. Use GFO, phosguard is good at keeping it in one place until it builds up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back