What is this "softie"?

MarcPinsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off… I like the coral/s and will be keeping it/them no matter what the forum basically decides it is/they are.

That being said, I purchased this at my local coral store on a rock rubble with about a dozen clove polyps. (I like the look of cloves so that was the reason for the purchase - I was hoping to grow a large patch). The cloves didn’t make it either under direct lighting or in present lower lighting, in area of higher flow or in present area of decreased/mild flow. I think I may have one polyp left. Oh well……

There were also 2 VERY small green globs which the LFS owner said were probably a type of leather which was hitchhiking on the rubble. He stated he had these on a few other pieces he rec’d at the same time, but they all progressively shrunk and died off. He had this last piece in tank for approx 2 months before I purchased it. These are what I desire help in identifying.

As they grew, each of the individual polyps growing off the branches had definite visable central thin stalks with a mouths and frilly ends at the distal aspect of the eight tendrils. (So, its probably an octocoral). In its base/stalk, I believe I saw sclerites. (So, I’m thinking something in the leather family). As it grew and matured, it has almost no upwards growth to its branches (like a tree or finger coral would) but appears to be growing laterally. (Very obvious on the smaller piece). The branches all seem to be coming off the central base/stalk (rather than each other). Also, the polyps changed as it/they grew, and I no longer see the frilly ends coming off the distal tendrils. It has its bright neon green color in both daylight and under night actinincs. It retracts into a lump at night (showing it is sensitive to light). Over the eight months I’ve had them, they have increased in size 4-5x original size. It has been getting all its nourishment from either filter feeding or from photosynthesis (or both). I have not attempted to feed it directly. I can no longer see obvious sclerites in its flesh. (Doesn’t mean they are not there). The shape reminds me somewhat of a carnation coral but those hate the light and need to be fed or they croke. My tank gets a fair amount of lighting. Whatever they are, they seem to be doing OK.

I’ve looked at Google images of soft corals/leathers/octocorals but can’t find anything that looks like it/them. So…..what you think??????? (Informative link to your ID choice would be appreciated).

FYI…. tank is a weird one 36x24x24” -- was told it was 75 gal. (I like the height and depth!). I Have had it going for MANY years. (it was an African tank before I went salt over 10-15 years ago). Lots of rock. All my Fish and other corals seem to like it. Ph is about 8.2; sal is 1.025, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, about 5 for nitrates, trace amounts of phosphate (I’m now running GFO), Ca is about 800, Mg is 1400. My small power skimmer holds just under a cup and is emptied once per week of nasty brown/green yuk! (I run a more “dry” than “wet” effluent). Everything is covered in pink/red coralline algae. I have 2 LED fixtures – a 200w Chinese black box multi-spectrum unit and a 30w current marine - so tank should be getting more than enough par lighting to keep corals happy. (I plan on staying with softies and a few LPSs). Don’t have a sump – use a large HO and an under-cabinet canister for filtration.

DSCN0682.JPG
DSCN0683.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off… I like the coral/s and will be keeping it/them no matter what the forum basically decides it is/they are.

That being said, I purchased this at my local coral store on a rock rubble with about a dozen clove polyps. (I like the look of cloves so that was the reason for the purchase - I was hoping to grow a large patch). The cloves didn’t make it either under direct lighting or in present lower lighting, in area of higher flow or in present area of decreased/mild flow. I think I may have one polyp left. Oh well……

There were also 2 VERY small green globs which the LFS owner said were probably a type of leather which was hitchhiking on the rubble. He stated he had these on a few other pieces he rec’d at the same time, but they all progressively shrunk and died off. He had this last piece in tank for approx 2 months before I purchased it. These are what I desire help in identifying.

As they grew, each of the individual polyps growing off the branches had definite visable central thin stalks with a mouths and frilly ends at the distal aspect of the eight tendrils. (So, its probably an octocoral). In its base/stalk, I believe I saw sclerites. (So, I’m thinking something in the leather family). As it grew and matured, it has almost no upwards growth to its branches (like a tree or finger coral would) but appears to be growing laterally. (Very obvious on the smaller piece). The branches all seem to be coming off the central base/stalk (rather than each other). Also, the polyps changed as it/they grew, and I no longer see the frilly ends coming off the distal tendrils. It has its bright neon green color in both daylight and under night actinincs. It retracts into a lump at night (showing it is sensitive to light). Over the eight months I’ve had them, they have increased in size 4-5x original size. It has been getting all its nourishment from either filter feeding or from photosynthesis (or both). I have not attempted to feed it directly. I can no longer see obvious sclerites in its flesh. (Doesn’t mean they are not there). The shape reminds me somewhat of a carnation coral but those hate the light and need to be fed or they croke. My tank gets a fair amount of lighting. Whatever they are, they seem to be doing OK.

I’ve looked at Google images of soft corals/leathers/octocorals but can’t find anything that looks like it/them. So…..what you think??????? (Informative link to your ID choice would be appreciated).

FYI…. tank is a weird one 36x24x24” -- was told it was 75 gal. (I like the height and depth!). I Have had it going for MANY years. (it was an African tank before I went salt over 10-15 years ago). Lots of rock. All my Fish and other corals seem to like it. Ph is about 8.2; sal is 1.025, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, about 5 for nitrates, trace amounts of phosphate (I’m now running GFO), Ca is about 800, Mg is 1400. My small power skimmer holds just under a cup and is emptied once per week of nasty brown/green yuk! (I run a more “dry” than “wet” effluent). Everything is covered in pink/red coralline algae. I have 2 LED fixtures – a 200w Chinese black box multi-spectrum unit and a 30w current marine - so tank should be getting more than enough par lighting to keep corals happy. (I plan on staying with softies and a few LPSs). Don’t have a sump – use a large HO and an under-cabinet canister for filtration.

DSCN0682.JPG
DSCN0683.JPG
Thats gorgeous. Nice, comrade

OP
OP
M

MarcPinsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the polyps appear to be the same color as the stalk (not brownish like with a neon green Kenya tree) I am going to guess a sinularia / finger leather. Or a nepthea. [emoji846] they are all closely related.

If Im correct.... nepthea grow directly from the base whereas dendronepthia and sinularia grow off a central stalk. the dendros seem to grow more laterally (like mine do) but most carnations and their relatives are not photosynthetic, dislike the light, and need to be fed. (these guys seem to like the light and obviously arent starving as Ive never direct;y fed them. Sinularia fit the pattern of growing its branches off of a central stalk but they always appear to have an upwards growth pattern and as you can see the only "up" is the central stalk the rest is lateral/outward growth.
As I've said ----- my q's are more out of curiosity as I tend to like to know what I can/cannot grow in my tank.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never suspected it was NPS based on your description. [emoji846]

Nepthea usually have a longer stalk with polpy branches higher up from what I have seen. But it's not carved in stone. [emoji846]

You mentioned "what will do well in your tank."

Lol, in mine, very little right now.
Nitrates are still pretty high from too many fish. 60 to 80 sometimes. Still working on lowering them with water changes for now.
Need to get an algae scrubber.

I can only keep certain things alive and happy.
Even some leathers elude me.
Neon green Palau nepthea fail after several months. Some xenias do well and others dont.
Zoa are a constant failure but I blame that on the asterinas.
Some sinularia, discosoma, GSP, gorgonians and Kenya trees do well.
Lol, frogspawn and hammers do well.

OP
OP
M

MarcPinsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give AZ-NO3 a try. 6 m/o I had a huge spike in no3 from overfeeding -- NO3 went to almost 100 and everything was suffering. LFS rec Az-NO3 even though they didn't sell it -- long story shortened --- in 2 weeks it was down to 15 (and product was used up) and eventually dropped to its present level of 5, (with better care of my tank). Give it a try, it wasnt expensive. [ p.s.: I never had a tank with 0 level of NO3.]

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back