What is this SPS?

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend gave me this SPS. Im new to them and have no idea what this is or how to care for it. Her tank is bombing, I probably have better water quality in my toilet than she has in her tank..lol.. Seriously, its bad. Im trying to save this dude. Any help?

0306172126b.jpg

0306172126.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's in bad shape. Maybe Stylophora or green birds nest. I would suggest placing it low near the sand bed for a week to allow it to acclimate to your lights, then raise it up in a week and then raise it again after that. Keep your alkalinity around 8- 9 dkh, calcium 350-400 and mag around 1350-1400.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope it does better. Poor guy... Yes, Im keeping LPS with great success. My water paparameters are always really good. Sometimes my Nitrates run a little high ( around 10ppm) when Im due a water change. .. Im running Sea gel for phosphate removal. And have started dosing calcium. Everything stays pretty stable, much to my surprise, in a first time nano. My friend cant seem to keep her SG stable, much less anything else, bless her heart. She has some Monty cap ill probably acquire as well. Free is good, I guess.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no3 between 5-10ppm all the time and my SPS and LPS love it and you always want a little/trace po4.

Stability is key in keeping SPS and as long as you test for alkalinity once a week and keep it 8-9 dkh, they will do fine. Just don't adjust more than 1 dkh a day to keep at 8-9.

I use this calculator for dosing: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interested to see what it looks like when it recovers. It sure looks a lot like a neon green pocillipora I had. If it proves to be that I'd recommend removing it and killing it with fire! LOL. I ended up with small colonies of that thing from one end of a 6' tank to the other.Very difficult to get rid of.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be interested to see what it looks like when it recovers. It sure looks a lot like a neon green pocillipora I had. If it proves to be that I'd recommend removing it and killing it with fire! LOL. I ended up with small colonies of that thing from one end of a 6' tank to the other.Very difficult to get rid of.

Lol, the one I may regret at some point is my green hydnophora. Its growing very fast in my system and I've given it the whole top of one of my rock columns to keep it from killing anything around it. Beautiful but deadly. Lol

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like pocillopora to me. I have it everywhere, giving frags to my LFS to keep it from shading other corals. Easy to grow coral, has a green color in lower position, and yellow up higher.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like pocillopora to me. I have it everywhere, giving frags to my LFS to keep it from shading other corals. Easy to grow coral, has a green color in lower position, and yellow up higher.

Pocillopora has ends that are more blunt and rounded. My coral has sharper pointy ends. Im thinking birds nest.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. .. Looking at it now, they are only pointy because its so small right now... Could be Pocillopora. ..

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close, but in reverse... Mine has green skin and brown polyps... The pictures I saw online look like brown/ orange skin and green polyps... But very similar in structure...

Just put the word "reverse" on it's name and call it the day :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back