What is this stuff?!!!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that tang In there for 6 months and he is doing very well no sights of stress I also have a 50 gallon tank as well for when he gets big.
Like I said, just trying to help you avert diaster. If you get a chance, you should peruse other emergencies- you can click on the tag or head over to the fish disease forum :) I think you'll fine one common trend- no one see's ich, velvet, or many other diseases "coming". Many reefers with ich in their systems can have healthy fish for years before a stress event lowers the fish's immune system and ich "shows" itself. I'm just trying to give the advice I would want to receive if I were in your shoes...

What you do with that advice is up to you.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had dino’s and was a nightmare to get rid of. If this is dino i would double check your nitrate level using a different kit as mine were nearly bottomed out and raising it really did the trick.
Can u get a pic in white light?
Yeah sure

image.jpg

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a cheap microscope, take a pic of what you see and start a thread with the pic.
There are some amazing microbiologists on here that will help you ID.

A cheap microscope will do the trick. Maybe your LFS has one? You can hold your phone up and get some pictures. Best to get a video as well in case it is Dino’s.

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had dino’s and was a nightmare to get rid of. If this is dino i would double check your nitrate level using a different kit as mine were nearly bottomed out and raising it really did the trick.
Can u get a pic in white light?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant really say for sure but if it were me i would blow it off the rocks and siphon it out also if you can, increase the flow to make it harder for it to settle anywhere
Obviously the best thing to do is microscope and open id thread as suggested above
What test kits are you using?
Sometimes if i overfeed for even a day or 2 i will get what looks very similar to that on back glass which i wipe off and it doesnt come back (unless i overfeed again)

OP
OP
JACKS REEF

JACKS REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant really say for sure but if it were me i would blow it off the rocks and siphon it out also if you can, increase the flow to make it harder for it to settle anywhere
Obviously the best thing to do is microscope and open id thread as suggested above
What test kits are you using?
Sometimes if i overfeed for even a day or 2 i will get what looks very similar to that on back glass which i wipe off and it doesnt come back (unless i overfeed again)
Okay thanks man

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it, looking at the powerhead u could do with pointing it across the tank to get more water movement. That may even solve it altogether as it may just be caused by dead spots

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it, looking at the powerhead u could do with pointing it across the tank to get more water movement. That may even solve it altogether as it may just be caused by dead spots
I agree with you. more cleaning and changing flow is probably key.

@JACKS REEF , you probably don't even need a microscope at this point because I doubt you are dealing with dinos or crysophytes due to view with white lights and NO3 and PO4 levels being in good range.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cheap microscope will do the trick. Maybe your LFS has one? You can hold your phone up and get some pictures. Best to get a video as well in case it is Dino’s.

I got one on Amazon for under $40 and it has a screen attachment so you dont have to look through the scope to take a pic..

AND!!!

I think I might get that second one..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Diatoms and algae which is very easy to clean and often associated with a new tank.
Try changing to RO water from a local LFS and reduce white light intensity by 10-15%. Add clean up crew such as : Turbo snail, astrea, trochus and nassarius snail and reassess the tank after all these steps are taken. While purchasing RO, take a water sample and have them test your ammonia, Phos and ph for verification of your readings

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had that tang In there for 6 months and he is doing very well no sights of stress I also have a 50 gallon tank as well for when he gets big.
50 gallon is definitely not big enough I’m sorry I really wish it was and I’m no help for diatoms the only thing I can suggest is Uv but there are way more experienced guys for this

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 62 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.9%
Back