What is this worm living under a rock?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think they live in sand tubes under the rockwork. I found this one when I turned a rock over.

Looks like a peanut worm but other possibility is a Sigalionid worm. Both spend their time in the sand or mud feeding off uneaten food and detritus

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peanut worm ?
When I look at images of peanut worms they always have a stumpy end with "hairs" on them and don't look as segmented as this one does. Maybe it is though.

1707280210129.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I look at images of peanut worms they always have a stumpy end with "hairs" on them and don't look as segmented as this one does. Maybe it is though.

1707280210129.png
These follicles retract and extend as they feed

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1707280210129.png
google images ,many different species

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1707280210129.png
Your worm appears to be a Bamboo/Maldanid Worm (taxonomic family Maldanidae) - it's harmless/beneficial and a pretty rare hitchhiker. Neat find! As you observed, they build tubes to live in, and they feed on stuff like detritus.

With regards to peanut worms, though, that stumpy end with "hairs" (they're tentacles in this case) is actually the everted proboscis of the worm (basically the mouth of the worm when it's open) - it isn't always visibly "hairy" like in the pic you shared, because it isn't always everted; when the worm's mouth is "closed," the proboscis is basically tucked away inside the worm, and not visible.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your worm appears to be a Bamboo/Maldanid Worm (taxonomic family Maldanidae) - it's harmless/beneficial and a pretty rare hitchhiker. Neat find! As you observed, they build tubes to live in, and they feed on stuff like detritus.

With regards to peanut worms, though, that stumpy end with "hairs" (they're tentacles in this case) is actually the everted proboscis of the worm (basically the mouth of the worm when it's open) - it isn't always visibly "hairy" like in the pic you shared, because it isn't always everted; when the worm's mouth is "closed," the proboscis is basically tucked away inside the worm, and not visible.
Thanks so much! Apparently they get up to 4" long, so not too big.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back