What is this yellow stuff on my silicone?

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for a couple weeks now. This yellow film and dots are showing up on the silicone and return line in my sump, but it's isolated to this one chamber in the sump. Nowhere else in the system. Any idea what it is? I've never seen it before in previous systems.

IMG_20191118_193345.jpg

OP
OP
Nooooooooob1

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the beginnings not algae
I thought so too, but I just find it odd that it's only happening in this one isolated section of the system. There are 105 gallons total volume but I'm only seeing it in this one area. And it happens to be the area I DIY'd a baffle in to make a chamber for the pump. I'm just worried I screwed it up somehow but I did b use 100% additive free silicone and let it cure for over 24 hours.

OP
OP
Nooooooooob1

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the beginnings not algae
Seems I'm not the first one to have it

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems I'm not the first one to have it

No not at all - there are multiple posts here on R2R and other info on the interwebs. I'm not sure what it is, but I haven't seen anybody say it is a probably the than the look is less than desirable.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peace any luck understanding this one ? My sump just started the same thing. I started my cycle 6 weeks ago with Fritz. The only change was adding a Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Plate 2 weeks ago that I seeded with Microbacter 7. I used GE silicone # 1. I looks like it is on your return pump hose also. Weird. Never had seen this in prior tanks.

OP
OP
Nooooooooob1

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peace any luck understanding this one ? My sump just started the same thing. I started my cycle 6 weeks ago with Fritz. The only change was adding a Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Plate 2 weeks ago that I seeded with Microbacter 7. I used GE silicone # 1. I looks like it is on your return pump hose also. Weird. Never had seen this in prior tanks.
Yeah I've never seen or heard about it either before it just happened to me! As far as I can tell from the research I've done, it's harmless to our tanks. I also used GE 100% silicone with no additives, which I've used in the past and this never happened.
The only thing I can possibly think of is that I didn't let it cure long enough. I let it sit for a solid 24 hours before adding water, whereas the last time I made a sump I let it sit for 48 hours. I don't think that would be a problem, but who knows. How long did you let yours cure for?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Based on everything that I have read it doesn't seem to be connected to a single brand of silicone, method of application, types of lighting in the area, or to added chemicals. I have not seen anything that has suggested that it is a problem other than being unsightly. If I had to guess I would lean toward something biological.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get some yellow on my silicon. Based on what I can find no reason for it and nothing to worry about. I tried cleaning it off. Doesn't come off. Never have seen this before in my other tanks.

20191128_101240.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back