What is this

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what’s on my clown he’s been in the tank for about 5ish years now and this damsel I’m not sure either. (Attaching photos)

IMG_0663.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0662.mov
    12.3 MB
  • IMG_0661.mov
    34.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see clearly, but the damsel and the foxface both seem to be breathing fast. I think you should turn up the air stone and lower it to the bottom of the tank, the surface of the water looks too still.

What was the last animal that you added to this tank, and when?

I would also check the pH in the morning before the lights come on, and then again in the later afternoon. You want to avoid huge shifts due to carbon dioxide.

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was wondering if it’s ich but neither seem to be breathing fast the damsel is the newest addition. I added him 3 days ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was wondering if it’s ich but neither seem to be breathing fast the damsel is the newest addition. I added him 3 days ago.
Ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing until the fish are near the end of the infection. There are water issues that cause this, but do do gill flukes and velvet disease.

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the water tested at my LFS before getting him and they said it was fine. The foxface is behaving the same he always had I’ve had him 4 years now. My main concern was on the damsel I can’t tell if a fish pecked him or it’s the start of white spot. The second is that black dot on the clown is newish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the water tested at my LFS before getting him and they said it was fine. The foxface is behaving the same he always had I’ve had him 4 years now. My main concern was on the damsel I can’t tell if a fish pecked him or it’s the start of white spot. The second is that black dot on the clown is newish.
Your main concern should be the rapid breathing. The spot is too large to be ich, and is most likely a minor bump or missing scale.

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the advice ill move the stone and try to increase flow ill see if that helps. Anything else I should do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the advice ill move the stone and try to increase flow ill see if that helps. Anything else I should do?

You should watch the spots on the damselfish. I viewed the video again this morning on my main computer (not my phone) and I think I can see half a dozen or so smaller spots - those could be ich. Watch for the spots to come and go and change location every day or so, with a generally increase in numbers. That would confirm ich. then, your options would be to treat all of the fish with either hyposalinity or coppersafe. Of course, you can't have any invertebrates present in the tank during an ich treatment.

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. So far o change but will keep you all updated.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back