What is this?!

ShoniNikki

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2014
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just wondering what this is and how I can get it to quit coming back so quickly, I literally have to scrub my glass (acrylic) every couple of days.
Hope the picture is clear enough to tell
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1416018902529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416018902529.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 168
Flim algae, that is what magnets are for. You can boost up your clean crew with snails/stomatella/limpets/abalone that target the glass. A good UV sterilizer can help. Keep nutrients (nitrates/phosphates) low.
 
You might check into carbon dosing, either vinegar or vodka. It is a way to feed / increase bacteria in your tank that will help lower your nutrient levels. High nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) are what causes the algae to grow. Lower nutrients, less algae. I had this problem with my 140 and started dosing vinegar daily. Now I only have a light dusting on the glass a couple times a week and only need to clean the glass with a light pass of the magnet cleaner. No more scraping algae off the glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new