What is Triton? And why?

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else get the IPC tests done. I found out my tank's water was pretty good but I did have some heavy metal (tin) contamination that I'm now trying to fix. Also I like Triton's idea of calibrating the dosing to Alk consumption. It's easy to follow and I feel more confident about where I'm setting the parameters. For me, it takes the guesswork out and the daily dosing forced me to make my tank more stable. I used to hate dosing, but I finally bought a 4 head jebao doser used for $30 and now I just monitor my Alk and test the other major parameters on the weekends.

I have a smaller tank so my consumption is pretty small compared to some. I figure it's gonna cost me $40 per year for the Base Elements.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else get the IPC tests done. I found out my tank's water was pretty good but I did have some heavy metal (tin) contamination that I'm now trying to fix. Also I like Triton's idea of calibrating the dosing to Alk consumption. It's easy to follow and I feel more confident about where I'm setting the parameters. For me, it takes the guesswork out and the daily dosing forced me to make my tank more stable. I used to hate dosing, but I finally bought a 4 head jebao doser used for $30 and now I just monitor my Alk and test the other major parameters on the weekends.

I have a smaller tank so my consumption is pretty small compared to some. I figure it's gonna cost me $40 per year for the Base Elements.

Thanks Chris. What size is your tank? Not sure why people don’t like to share cost, thank you for sharing.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris. What size is your tank? Not sure why people don’t like to share cost, thank you for sharing.

Original Base Elements at $78 for 10000ml of 1,2,3a,3b (I assume the RODI water is free)

For each gallon of reef tank you will have to dose 0.378ml per day each as per Triton directions (10ml per 100L and 3.785 liters in a gallon)

365 days per year.

Cost per Gallon of Reef Tank per Year:

0.378ml x $78/10000ml x 365 days = $1.08 per gallon tank volume per year

I have a 32 gallon display which equals around $34.50 per year.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't trust these water tests quite yet. People that submit a sample taken at the same time to two separate companies (Triton & ATI) end up getting different results. So who do you believe? Even two simultaneous samples submitted to the same company yields different results sometimes.

One, or both, of them are using equipment that is out of calibration somewhere. Possibly there's a contamination of YOUR sample from the previous sample they just did, or even the operation and experience of using the machine and getting the proper results.

I think these tests function better as a guideline than an absolute. There's too many uncontrollable variables imo. If that weren't the case then people wouldn't have large discrepancies in results between two samples. Think about how many tests they're doing... Are they rushing through them and following proper protocol when the machine is supposed to be recalibrated? These are things we'll never be able to verify. I'm just not sold on it yet.

I look at it almost akin to something that says "for entertainment purposes only." It's handy to see the results, I just wouldn't bank my whole tanks wellbeing on it.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point @Forsaken77

I think Randy's posts sum it up best. Even if Triton tests do not measure minor elements well enough to use them as a dosing guideline, a lot of these elements are probably inconsequential for a reef tank anyway. The more major trace elements could be supplemented based on test results, and the results could be used as a general guideline to see if any elements are way too high, which could indicate a contaminant in the tank such as a piece of metal or rusting pump.

If I had a large enough tank, I would stop water changes and use Triton's test results to see if there were any substantial anomalies in my tank. I would supplement using Randy's DIY 2-part and supplement select trace elements using Triton's single element supplements. While I don't think Triton's testing is precise enough to maintain NSW levels of every single element, I don't think that's necessary. I would feel comfortable enough using it to verify water quality in a no water change system.

U

User1

View Badges
@Chris Villalobos - interesting number. That is just for dosing? Not factoring in the cost of x number of tests a year. 210 gallons for me would be roughly $200 give or take total water volume (minus sand, rock, plus sump volume, etc). Say you do 3 tests a year buying a test retail - another $150. About $350 so far. Depending on what salt one uses + how much your area charges for water (California anyone) - Triton could be cheaper after the initial cost of equipment.

Based on what I've read about Triton and other methods there is an attraction to it from a responsible environment point of view. RI/RO has waste. California has whacky laws and our water tables ebb and flow. On the low side using less is doing the right thing. Having said that and one considering the use of Triton I am also weighing the pro and con of just collecting a couple hundred gallons of NSW off our coast. The way I see it I can get a couple dives in then load up a couple 55 gallon drums of water and store in the garage. Then just does the standard 2-parts and do a hybrid of a hybrid...

I think cost is a concern in my opinion. This hobby is already expensive. This shouldn't be (in my opinion).

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve read about the conversion experience meaning you have a tank going with corals and fish and then convert to this method. Seems like frequent tests for the first few months chasing the right dose . Has anyone done this? How often were you testing a week and it’s $40 a test right?

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve read about the conversion experience meaning you have a tank going with corals and fish and then convert to this method. Seems like frequent tests for the first few months chasing the right dose . Has anyone done this? How often were you testing a week and it’s $40 a test right?

It only took me a couple weeks to get the right dose to keep Alk steady at 8dkh. I use the Red Sea Alkalinity test kit. Triton recommends testing Alk once a day. I plan on using the IPC tests once a month until I figure out why I have Tin contamination. I talked with a representative and Tin is a pretty common contaminate. If you don't like your results they will retest your second vial.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like chemicals are had to get. People seem to be out of stock. That seems like a big deal correct?

U

User1

View Badges
One draw back for any of the dosing methods, and even to some degree just basic two part, is how to handle travel be it work, vacation, emergency, etc. May wash out in the end since owning any other form of animal would lead to a similar dilemma.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving more thought to the Triton method for my new build. My tank will be a 120g 48x24x24 with a Skimz Sump UP34. Approx 30 gal sump. The refugium chamber is 5”x14”. Is this big enough for the triton method??

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving more thought to the Triton method for my new build. My tank will be a 120g 48x24x24 with a Skimz Sump UP34. Approx 30 gal sump. The refugium chamber is 5”x14”. Is this big enough for the triton method??

The full Triton CORE 7 method calls for a minimum of 10% refugium volume relative to the volume of your display tank. For your 120 gallon tank, that would call for a 12 gallon refugium. Plug your refugium dimensions into an aquarium volume calculator (accounting for the UP34’s 9” maximum water adjus5ment height) and you only have a 2.73 gallon refugium. You can still go with the Triton “other” methods though.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full Triton CORE 7 method calls for a minimum of 10% refugium volume relative to the volume of your display tank. For your 120 gallon tank, that would call for a 12 gallon refugium. Plug your refugium dimensions into an aquarium volume calculator (accounting for the UP34’s 9” maximum water adjus5ment height) and you only have a 2.73 gallon refugium. You can still go with the Triton “other” methods though.

Oh wow, never realized how small it was lol.. okay I’ll look into the other methods

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back