What is wrong with my coral

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this kenya tree for several months now. It has spread some but i have heard its basically supposed to take over the tank, which it has not done.
image.jpg
Parameters are fine.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done everything ive been told to for taking care of it and it still throws fits like this.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help you. A couple years ago I had the same problem, my tree grew for a few years and got real big then one day it went downhill. Nothing changed in my system and it slowly shrunk/withered away for about a year until I had basically nothing left. Never did find the problem, all testing including ICP showed nothing out of normal.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help you. A couple years ago I had the same problem, my tree grew for a few years and got real big then one day it went downhill. Nothing changed in my system and it slowly shrunk/withered away for about a year until I had basically nothing left. Never did find the problem, all testing including ICP showed nothing out of normal.
Dang that sucks, i thought kenya trees were supposed to be easy to care for. Im thinking about getting a toadstool.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another problem now. Dino's and GHA, again nothing changed but silica went up. I have tried every thing from natural reducing nutrients to adding chemicals. I know adding two chemicals together which is not a good idea, I dosed Dino-X and Flux-RX and one of my sps polyps looks liked it melted.

I did a large water change and added carbon for a week and some of my sps is still alive but the algae is worse now. Of course the Dino's is killing some of my other corals. Well I am going to do it again with Dino-x and this time with Algaefix. I just hope I don't loose to much coral. No one on R2R can help me, just got the normal fixes but just not working in my case.

If this does not work I will just have to do a rip clean on my 75. Removing sand bed and scrubbing rocks and going BB. I hope your tree bounces back.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another problem now. Dino's and GHA, again nothing changed but silica went up. I have tried every thing from natural reducing nutrients to adding chemicals. I know adding two chemicals together which is not a good idea, I dosed Dino-X and Flux-RX and one of my sps polyps looks liked it melted.

I did a large water change and added carbon for a week and some of my sps is still alive but the algae is worse now. Of course the Dino's is killing some of my other corals. Well I am going to do it again with Dino-x and this time with Algaefix. I just hope I don't loose to much coral. No one on R2R can help me, just got the normal fixes but just not working in my case.

If this does not work I will just have to do a rip clean on my 75. Removing sand bed and scrubbing rocks and going BB. I hope your tree bounces back.
Thanks, if i would remove carbon for a while would that help? I mean its annoying cause i have moderate lighting and flow and it still looks like crap and my gsp is not opening either.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, if i would remove carbon for a while would that help? I mean its annoying cause i have moderate lighting and flow and it still looks like crap and my gsp is not opening either.
I am not sure. The carbon has no affect on most corals that I am aware of. How long have you been running the carbon?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't rinse the carbon enough the fine dust like particles may irritate or kill some corals I would think. The particles will get into the polyps.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this kenya tree for several months now. It has spread some but i have heard its basically supposed to take over the tank, which it has not done.
image.jpg
Parameters are fine.
Honestly, my kenya have been with me for 6-7 months and like yours, they don’t spread nearly as much. I don’t think anything’s wrong, I think it’s just dependant on the ‘type’ as even with the same coral species you get have certain DNA mutations and this may be the case as some Kenya’s tend to spread like wildfire and others don’t :)

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my kenya have been with me for 6-7 months and like yours, they don’t spread nearly as much. I don’t think anything’s wrong, I think it’s just dependant on the ‘type’ as even with the same coral species you get have certain DNA mutations and this may be the case as some Kenya’s tend to spread like wildfire and others don’t :)
Ok, thanks that makes me feel better and im glad i didnt kill it

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gsp is doing the same things after my water change though so i dont know if its just the coral.
It’s likely to have been you removing nutrients as well as adding them if you JUST did a water change :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back