What is wrong with my Nem????

KMP123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Ritteri Anemone that has been in my 55 gallon tank for about 3 weeks now. Recently, it started MAJORLY deflating at night, with a gaping mouth and all... but during the day it looks normal. I’ve tried feeding him A frozen silverside but he didn’t want it. A week later I tried feeding frozen krill, but he also didn’t eat those. What is going on here? He’s height up on the rocks to reach the lights (I have two Current USA LED light bars) and he’s near my power head so he gets pretty good flow. He hasn’t tried to move himself so I’m assuming his location is fine. What else is it? Is he sick? Hungry? I’ve done a partial water change and that didn’t affect him at all either. No other changes have been made since he was added. I’ve attached a video of what it looks like at night time.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.MOV
    59.4 MB

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im 95% sure problem is your light. Current USA lights, especially the non IC version, are incredibly weak lights. Its a shame because they produce really pretty visuals. Also, they are rather difficult anemones so don't feel bad if something went wrong with the squishy fellow

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome first off ,cannot see video have a pic

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not to disagree,imo nems are shallow water,poss too much flow,only a 55 2 currents can grow acro in the rt conditions,just my opinion

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WP_20150822_19_16_56_Pro.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75 gallon 3 orig orbit pro not the new loop

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not view the video, but my guess is that it’s almost certainly not a lighting problem. Do a little searching on the anemone forum and you’ll see that inflation/deflation cycles are very common with recently acquired magnifica anemones (haven’t been know as ritteri for many years but the LFS keep calling them that) and almost certainly a symptom of infection. Silversides are high in bacteria and not recommended as anemone food. In fact, a mag doesn’t really need feeding at all.

Typically it will begin deflating early evening to the point of looking like a flattened pancake. By morning it will probably look ok. Then the cycle begins anew. Each time the cycle gets slightly worse until eventually it dies and you are left with a pile of goo. @OrionN is the expert. He popularized treatment with an excellent thread over on RC years ago.

Unfortunately, they are very demanding animals not for the reefing novice. You’ll almost certainly need to treat it in a hospital tank with cipro or septa. Depending on how progressed the infection is, may or may not be too late.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of spots, mags do best on a high pedestal where they get lots of light and chaotic flow.

1AC8A595-F4B6-47DE-9AF5-B9FAD64F5754.png

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is that the bad pic? looks normal

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is also common for them not to eat 4 a week or even two when moved

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not view the video, but my guess is that it’s almost certainly not a lighting problem. Do a little searching on the anemone forum and you’ll see that inflation/deflation cycles are very common with recently acquired magnifica anemones (haven’t been know as ritteri for many years but the LFS keep calling them that) and almost certainly a symptom of infection. Silversides are high in bacteria and not recommended as anemone food. In fact, a mag doesn’t really need feeding at all.

Typically it will begin deflating early evening to the point of looking like a flattened pancake. By morning it will probably look ok. Then the cycle begins anew. Each time the cycle gets slightly worse until eventually it dies and you are left with a pile of goo. @OrionN is the expert. He popularized treatment with an excellent thread over on RC years ago.

Unfortunately, they are very demanding animals not for the reefing novice. You’ll almost certainly need to treat it in a hospital tank with cipro or septa. Depending on how progressed the infection is, may or may not be too late.

It looked pretty bad with the mouth gaping wide open in the video

OP
OP
KMP123

KMP123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking it’s infection because I also have 2 T5s and a Kessil, it’s placed high, and has good flow. With the treatment, who can share what they’ve done before and succeeded in? I’m setting up a hospital tank now.

image.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they do open and close couple times a day one pic looks open and fine other looks closed ,is this what is happening,any signs of deteriation from mouth stringy stuff ?falling apart?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mags will shrink in overall size at night, and may occasionally have localized flaccid tentacles; but should never deflate globally. There’s a thread on treatment on the anemone forum.

OP
OP
KMP123

KMP123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no stringy things from the mouth... but leaves his mouth open a lot and doesn’t want krill or shrimp. Could I try scallop or something? I am worried it’s been too long since he had something meaty. About 2 weeks going on 3.

OP
OP
KMP123

KMP123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if it is an infection, will it spread to my baby BTA? I’ve had it for about a month and a half and right now it looks normal, but I’m wondering if I need to worry about it. It is on the opposite side of the tank but still in the same aquarium.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back