What is wrong with my tank??

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFDAB887-FCE1-46B5-ABFD-7A9E1EA7302C.jpeg
CEB1C086-BC41-4E09-9E41-6D462FAAE365.jpeg

Why are these bubbles all over my rocks? And what is this algae that I can’t seem to get off my substrate? I just treated my tank for dino’s over a week ago and now I have this algae in here. Also the majority of my sps have not opened fully since treating the tank for dinos.

What can I do?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos form the bubbles on the rocks?
Yes for sure. Prorocentrum dinos frequently have lots of bubbles, but relatively little slimy gunk. Not saying that's what you have for sure, but I would bet money on it. I'd recommend keeping your nutrients at ~ 10ppm NO3 and 0.1-0.2ppm PO4. Run a properly sized UV if you can and do it at low flow. Ideally, run it as a closed loop in your DT instead of as part of your sump. (I didn't believe this would make a difference, but it really did for me.). Have patience. In my experience, prorocentrum dinos are much less toxic to corals than the types with lots of stringy goop. If you have a microscope, try to get some good pics. There's a sticky thread on dinos in the nuisance algae forum that's quite good with lots of experts there. Good luck

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure. Prorocentrum dinos frequently have lots of bubbles, but relatively little slimy gunk. Not saying that's what you have for sure, but I would bet money on it. I'd recommend keeping your nutrients at ~ 10ppm NO3 and 0.1-0.2ppm PO4. Run a properly sized UV if you can and do it at low flow. Ideally, run it as a closed loop in your DT instead of as part of your sump. (I didn't believe this would make a difference, but it really did for me.). Have patience. In my experience, prorocentrum dinos are much less toxic to corals than the types with lots of stringy goop. If you have a microscope, try to get some good pics. There's a sticky thread on dinos in the nuisance algae forum that's quite good with lots of experts there. Good luck
So I have an AIO tank so the UV might be a pain to fit in an already packed back portion of the tank, I already tried a blackout with dosing bacteria and hydrogen peroxide, should I just go for a uv sterilizer and call it a day or is there another option?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an AIO tank so the UV might be a pain to fit in an already packed back portion of the tank, I already tried a blackout with dosing bacteria and hydrogen peroxide, should I just go for a uv sterilizer and call it a day or is there another option?
How many gallons is your setup again?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think it's tough to put a permanent UV on a small tank for both cost and aesthetic reasons. I think there's something called a green killing machine or something that's an all-in-one UV system that you can put in your tank temporarily. UV does really help with dinos. Less so for prorocentrum, but still somewhat effective.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think it's tough to put a permanent UV on a small tank for both cost and aesthetic reasons. I think there's something called a green killing machine or something that's an all-in-one UV system that you can put in your tank temporarily. UV does really help with dinos. Less so for prorocentrum, but still somewhat effective.
Would something like this work?

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are 0 with api and phosphate is zero with salifert
that's why you have dinos. you may have added some treatment but any treatment is just a bandaid until you fix the real issue.

Dinos thrive is low/no nutrient systems. Aim for .03 - .05ppm phosphate and 5-10ppm nitrate

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's why you have dinos. you may have added some treatment but any treatment is just a bandaid until you fix the real issue.

Dinos thrive is low/no nutrient systems. Aim for .03 - .05ppm phosphate and 5-10ppm nitrates
See I thought my tank had hight nitrates because I had an “oil slick” on top of my tank the past couple of days. And I’m guessing adding a sterilizer with a tank with so low nutrients isnt going to do anything….

How would I go about raising these levels (slowly) or what can I do to get rid of the dinos again!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I thought my tank had hight nitrates because I had an “oil slick” on top of my tank the past couple of days. And I’m guessing adding a sterilizer with a tank with so low nutrients isnt going to do anything….

How would I go about raising these levels (slowly) or what can I do to get rid of the dinos again!
Did you chemiclean it or similar? That is your oil slick if so...gotta slowly skim it off surface in my experience.
Raise nitrates by feeding a bit more, gradually. It will help in eliminating....
I have a UV running 12 hours a day on a 90, but I'm not sure I'd recommend on a 25. GKM, avoid, unless they have fixed their issues with leaching antimony.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dinos thrive is low/no nutrient systems. Aim for .03 - .05ppm phosphate and 5-10ppm nitrate
I agree with this. But I'd go for 0.1 ppm PO4 and 10-15ppm NO3. You can accomplish by doing fewer, smaller water changes and feeding a bit more.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of people will disagree with me but I recommend dosing phosphate and nitrate. The benefits are you'll be able to control your phosphates without having to worry about how much to feed in order to have certain levels. Also if you have a protein skimmer, stop using it.

Back