OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people will disagree with me but I recommend dosing phosphate and nitrate. The benefits are you'll be able to control your phosphates without having to worry about how much to feed in order to have certain levels. Also if you have a protein skimmer, stop using it.
How do I increase these levels gradually?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I turn off my skimmer also?
You can put your skimmer on a timer and run it for only part of the day. Problem with that is reduced oxygenation. You can keep it going but at reduced restriction so you’re not collecting skimmate (or drain skimmate back into aquarium but then you have to remember to collect skimmate sometimes or your nutrients will grow too fast

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an AIO tank so the UV might be a pain to fit in an already packed back portion of the tank, I already tried a blackout with dosing bacteria and hydrogen peroxide, should I just go for a uv sterilizer and call it a day or is there another option?
Dinos are not killed by blackout just make them to go to the water column or the substance depending on the type.
as per UV the good news is you need to plum it Display to Display to be effective so thae fact you have AIO make no difference. I strongly recommend not to do anything before you ID your strain you have. Different strains have different treatment. Microscope cost £30.

read the Dino treads will help a lot.

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are not killed by blackout just make them to go to the water column or the substance depending on the type.
as per UV the good news is you need to plum it Display to Display to be effective so thae fact you have AIO make no difference. I strongly recommend not to do anything before you ID your strain you have. Different strains have different treatment. Microscope cost £30.

read the Dino treads will help a lot.
99% sure I have Prorocentrum dinos and my nitrates and phosphates are 0 so I need to get these elements into the tank regardless

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man I appreciate all the help, hopefully I can finally shake these dinos, they have haunted me from when I set up my first tank
Good luck! Ive managed to get my dinos down to a modest level and they don't appear to be bothering my corals---so I'm declaring victory. Trying to eradicate them entirely had been driving me insane, so I've decided that I just need to "manage" them.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put your skimmer on a timer and run it for only part of the day. Problem with that is reduced oxygenation. You can keep it going but at reduced restriction so you’re not collecting skimmate (or drain skimmate back into aquarium but then you have to remember to collect skimmate sometimes or your nutrients will grow too fast
I run my skimmer when main lights are off and have the skimmate draining into the filter box, just the heavy particles will get collected in the filter and the water with the nutrients will go back into circulation. Maintaining no4 @ 5-10ppm and po4 @ 20-30ppb with just very little dosing.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back