What is your camera of choice for reef tank shots?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What camera (and equipment) do you prefer for reef tank photography? I have a Nikon D40, and it's great for regular picture taking, but I haven't been too happy with it for my reef tank photos (I actually think my phone takes better reef pics). I'd love to see agood discussion started about what is working for you photography pros with the beautiful reef pics! :D

Please post your preferred camera, any tips you can offer to the rest of us for using it, and please post a picture you've taken with the setup you recommend. Thanks!! :)

Here's mine with a Nikon D40 and regular 18-55mm lens. It's not awful, but I've seen some pics that are WAY better.
2014-07-24 22.26.26_view.jpg

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's less about the camera and more about the lens, settings, and post-processing. Check out the Nikon 35mm f/1.8g, it's way better than the kit lens for general photography. I also have the D40 but plan on upgrading, I feel higher resolution would help, and I feel the newer cameras handle all the blues better. Plus the new cameras have HD video.

But for only $200, the 35mm f/1.8g is a no-brainer for nikon users, in my opinon. Great value lens for the money.

Last edited:

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i prefer canon dslr.

currently using a 70d...upgraded from my 50d which i used for several years...only upgraded it because my 50d finally died from corrosion (i knocked it into a tank a week after i bought it years ago).

i prefer the canon ef-s 60mm f/2.8 usm macro lens most of the time. i also use the 24-70 L zoom lens which is handy depending on the subject and framing needs.

Last edited:

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a faster lens and you will be happier

I am currently using a 40d with a 28-135 kit lens, rented a 100 2.8 macro a couple weeks ago, loved it. I want to get a 50 1.8 for quick pictures, if I had the money, I would get a 5d2, best camera I have ever used.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my Nikon D300. for fts I use a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 on a mono-pod. for fish and groups of coral I use a Sigma 70-200 2.8. for close ups I use a Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro. kick your iso to 800 for higher shutter speed. use a tri-pod for coral with all pumps off. try to get the fish when it's not moving. it's digital so take lots of shots. you might get a couple of good shots from a couple of hundred. I have a D40 but it's been converted for infra red. it's a good camera. like everything else, practice, practice, practice. the best way to freeze fish is with flash. I hang two Nikon SB600's over my tank.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, guys! Could you post a pic that you've taken with your camera? It would help me (and others following this thread) to see what can be achieved with these setups. :)

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the oddball but Pentax makes a pretty fantastic dslr. The new K3 model has all the bells and whistles plus it built like a tank. I've been using the k7 model for the last 5-6 years and it's still rocking.

The lens is what really makes or breaks the photo. You are going to need a high quality macro (prime would be best). I've been using the tamron 90mm since day one. Sigma makes a 105mm that is also really sharp. The canan and Nikon both have good ones as well

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are any bad DSLR's on the market today. while a quality lens is best, it is not a must. I have seen beautiful tank and coral pics taken with point and shoot cameras. the best thing is to understand a little about photography. learn what your camera settings will do and how they affect a photo. your cameras manual has a wealth of info and the internet will give you answers to any question. photography has been my hobby for more than forty years and I'm still learning things.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there are any bad DSLR's on the market today. while a quality lens is best, it is not a must. I have seen beautiful tank and coral pics taken with point and shoot cameras. the best thing is to understand a little about photography. learn what your camera settings will do and how they affect a photo. your cameras manual has a wealth of info and the internet will give you answers to any question. photography has been my hobby for more than forty years and I'm still learning things.

Agreed, knowing how to set up your camera and get the right lighting is key to taking photos.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a photo you like and copy the EXIF data. Set your camera to similar settings as a starting point. Everyone's lighting is different but it can be a good place to start learning.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Find a photo you like and copy the EXIF data. Set your camera to similar settings as a starting point. Everyone's lighting is different but it can be a good place to start learning.

Thanks! Wish someone in my area gave lessons. LOL I do also wonder if aquarium lighting might be an issue...but I've seen some great shots under LEDs too...

How do I get the EXIF data?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Wish someone in my area gave lessons. LOL I do also wonder if aquarium lighting might be an issue...but I've seen some great shots under LEDs too...

How do I get the EXIF data?

Sometimes you can right click on the photo and select "inspect element" (google chrome) Or "view EXIF data" (IE, I think). If it's posted to photobucket or Flickr the EXIF data is available to view unless the user blocks it.

Here's one of mine just for example,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ritter6788/12157158206/in/photostream/

Scroll down and the data is posted below the photo.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue leds can be tough to take photos under but it can be done with the right setting. It's much easier to take pics with a DSLR under blue leds than a smartphone to me.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found it's all about white balance under the LED's. Had to take a picture of a white card in the tank and reset the white balance around that. It made a huge difference, stopped the super blue saturation. I've been using our Canon SLR that's prob 9 yrs old with Sigma Macro lens (12 yrs old) and getting pretty decent shots. I'm just learning though.

IMG_7231.jpg

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with Pedro. I am using a close to 10 year old D40x and don't even have a good macro lens (a 40mm micro nikkor I got for super cheap) and the biggest thing when shooting coral is white balancing for the LEDs. A white card is awesome (or even using a white wall behind the tank), but if you just can't get your WB set properly, shoot in RAW so you can modify the white balance after the fact in Photoshop or whatever you are using.
awesome_echinata_web.jpg

You can't even see blue when you WB it properly!

Last edited:

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before upgrading a camera, think about getting remote flash units that you can place over your tank. Most folks just need a little more light.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before upgrading a camera, think about getting remote flash units that you can place over your tank. Most folks just need a little more light.

While I do 90% of my shooting with off-camera strobes and this would be great advice for upping your general photography game, I completely disagree with this advice for shooting your tank. I don't know anyone who uses a strobe when shooting their tank unless it is for night shots when your lights are totally out.

Strobes don't flash 20k light - it would basically the exact opposite as using a strobe in a room with incandescent lights without a gel.

Lenses, specifically a decent macro lens, are a FAR better upgrade than strobes for shooting your reef...

cmantis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish (hi fin perchlet). I have a dslr w 100mm 2.8 macro but how to keep it steady? Seems most shots I want a tripod isnt practical.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back