What is your favorite algae scrubber?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Clearwater very good but apparently out of business. Ice Cap has a new and nice line of scrubbers

onionbagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearwater are nice and definitely grow algae but I’ve found they require a bit more maintenance. Lots of salt creep and the screen head gets clogged causing spray issues and dripping on the pipes.

I recently upgraded to an apis-60. I am still waiting on plumbing parts but the build quality looks great and the removable tray looks like it will make maintenance easier.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearwater very good but apparently out of business.
Not sure where this came from but I can guarantee you it's not the case, since Josh and I are partners in CWT Aquatics (sumps for algae scrubbers)

Just because a company has no units available currently does not mean they are out of business. I'm a prime example of that myself actually. I'm still here...js

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my sump walls and some plant lights

252C9249-71F1-4ECC-8F38-1C210F13D23C.jpeg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of getting everything ready for my 155 gallon aquarium. I would like to know some options on algae scrubbers. It is glass aquarium.
It occurred to me...are you asking about products that remove algae from the glass, i.e., scrapers and things like the mag float?

An Algae Scrubber, in the terms of all these other responses in this thread, refers to a piece of filtration equipment.

OP
OP
P

PowerLineman01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It occurred to me...are you asking about products that remove algae from the glass, i.e., scrapers and things like the mag float?

An Algae Scrubber, in the terms of all these other responses in this thread, refers to a piece of filtration equipment.
I have a flipper scrapper was curious about scrubbers. Thanks for your interest in this
Post. Just looking at what people like and recommend. I have been lurking on R2R for awhile and I feel this is this best place to get peoples honest opinions instead of reviews. I currently dont have an aquarium yet still waiting for mine to be delivered just doing some research.

LeftCoastRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a recent IceCap and have decided that I am either going to stop using an algae scrubber or get a Santa Monica Surf or Turbo one. The external IceCap takes up a lot of space in my small cabinet stand, needs to be completely removed for cleaning inside of the enclosure, and needs to be frequenting monitored for leaking around the top.

The Turbo looks nice because it is much less tall so it would fit over my sump and it has a removable clear chamber that makes cleaning easier. I like the Santa Monica Surf for the simplicity and and that it would be entirety contained in my sump. They see to cost a lot for what they are and I’m not sure how quiet they are with the needed air pumps and bubbling.

My current inclination is to wean off the algae scrubber and transition to vodka dosing.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oops! Seems so. If that’s the case Flipper

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not sure where this came from but I can guarantee you it's not the case, since Josh and I are partners in CWT Aquatics (sumps for algae scrubbers)

Just because a company has no units available currently does not mean they are out of business. I'm a prime example of that myself actually. I'm still here...js
I had a CW-50 and wanted larger and LFS indicated np longer available. Now it leads me to believe He no longer carried them ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am in the process of getting everything ready for my 155 gallon aquarium. I would like to know some options on algae scrubbers. It is glass aquarium.
This was very confusing . You meant glass scrapers for algae. There are units known as algae scrubbers for the sump.
Tunze makes some of the best ones. For your tank would be Tunze strong. There is a line also which has the piranah, and hammerhead. Those too are good

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am surprised no body mentioned Turbo aquatics !!! I have L2 Rev 1 with Rev 2 mod and let me tell you - it can grow hair algae like no body’s business and that’s quite a few years old .

The design matters a lot and Turbo aquatics is like Tunze of algae scrubbers .

I can’t imagine what his L2 Rev 5 can do !!!! I might get his Rev 5 or the discounted Rev 4 now

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PowerLineman01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was very confusing . You meant glass scrapers for algae. There are units known as algae scrubbers for the sump.
Tunze makes some of the best ones. For your tank would be Tunze strong. There is a line also which has the piranah, and hammerhead. Those too are good
No I meant scrubbers. I have a flipper scrapper for the glass. Sorry for any confusion. You had it right the first time

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of Turbo's. I can't compare it to anything else since it's the only one I own - but it grows mad algae, is pretty easy to clean, and it easily keeps up with my nitrates and phosphates. I have to keep it dialed back and occasionally dose. Seems very thoughtfully designed. Lots of support. I'd certainly buy another if I set up another tank.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CW-50 and wanted larger and LFS indicated np longer available. Now it leads me to believe He no longer carried them ?
High demand, low supply, and yes - the pandemic is totally screwing with the supply chain. I can 100% guarantee you he is still in business.

The correct term your LFS should have used was "not currently available" rather than "no longer available" - the latter indicates they aren't being manufactured anymore.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back