What is your favorite inexpensive fish?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hobby, there are a lot of fish we get to choose from when it comes to our tanks. Sometimes, our favorite fish in our tanks don't always have to be the most expensive ones. I am wondering what is your favorite fish in your tank that doesn't break the bank. Curious to know what everyone says!
Yellow tail damsels

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He nibbles acros though. >:(

My favorite is the Springeri Damsels

They're pretty chill and peaceful in my tank after I went from 3 to 2.
I didn’t know that. Thanks for letting me know!

Luckily I don’t particularly care about acros. But in my searches after your comment I did see some people have problems with clown gobies irritating LPS by perching on them. Hasn’t been a problem for me yet, but I’ll keep an eye on it!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little goof-ball was only $12.99 at my LFS. My tank plans were in no way compatible with a puffer, but it was so interactive with me at the store I had to bring "him" home. Tank will have to go another direction now.

PXL_20231009_211050660~2 (1).jpg
A puffer is one of the only fish I'm willing to build a tank around. My wife really wants a porcupine puffer and I can't disagree with that. They have so much personality and they're so smart, they're like underwater puppies. They're very interactive and will even come up for scritches.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the many dartfish species would get my vote. They are peaceful, they shoal, they eat prepared foods readily, and you can mix them all together! A friend of mine had two of each dartfish species and one of each firefish in his tank, and they all lived together in a big shoal. It's hard to find any of them for over $30, though the Helfrichi are usually more than $100.

If we're talking fish I actually own, hands down my pink skunk clowns. Got the pair for $45 and they are personable, brightly colored and far more peaceful than the other clown species.

adammarcos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hobby, there are a lot of fish we get to choose from when it comes to our tanks. Sometimes, our favorite fish in our tanks don't always have to be the most expensive ones. I am wondering what is your favorite fish in your tank that doesn't break the bank. Curious to know what everyone says!
Either Flame Hawk or Azure Damsels.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to say Algae Blennies and Mandarin; I’ve got a stardust in my main display (Lenny the Blenny), and a Lawnmower in the frag tank (Blenrietta). Have a male and female Mandarin (Sir Flouncealot and Lady Flounce)

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torn between Red Scooter Dragonettes and Banggai cardinals (though that seems like it may implode with new laws in the not to distant future)

0ttr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all about inexpensive fish just because it only adds to the pain if something goes wrong. It's doubly awful not only losing a live creature but the money on top. So it's rare for me to invest in something very expensive or something known to be difficult to keep. Besides, just because something is "common" doesn't mean it's not beautiful.

So I almost always have clowns, cleaner shrimp in my tank. I love the yellow-tail blue damsels but yeah you definitely have to be careful what you are adding them with. Some time ago I spend not too much on a couple of engineer gobies and now they are approaching full grown and they are just great to watch--very pretty, lively, distinctive, interesting to watch, harmless. I also love Coral Beauty angels, though they seem to be creeping up in price.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back