What is your favorite inexpensive fish?

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrid our Starry Blenny is hilarious. I’m sure she is sometimes dancing! She also likes to sit with new arrivals - corals or urchins etc.. She has bags of personality and was relatively inexpensive.
Aww…I named ours Starry lol

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nowadays i see them for around 1500-2000
My LFS had Gems for $599.
Tried to explain to the wife that was an awesome price.

It didn’t work :(
Ummm, I’ve seen a few places recently having them for sub $400. There were like about 3 locations 45 minutes away from me in differing directions that had them.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas are usually pretty inexpensive and they add great color to the tank. And I love my tiny little yellow clown goby. He perches in different spots of the tank all day and he’s so small that I think the other fish don’t even see that he exists.

He nibbles acros though. >:(

My favorite is the Springeri Damsels

They're pretty chill and peaceful in my tank after I went from 3 to 2.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater mollies. Cheap. Can tolerate wide range of salinity swings, come in multiple colors. Will pick at algae from time to time. Not picky eaters. I've had mine in temperatures as low as 65 degrees and they didn't die. Truly an all around peaceful fish, that tends to hang in the mid to upper region of the tank.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the regular old Green Chromis! They are actually quite pretty when the light hits them just right, especially under bright white LEDs or halides. I also like how they are always out swimming around in the water column.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I’ve seen a few places recently having them for sub $400. There were like about 3 locations 45 minutes away from me in differing directions that had them.
Well, I did see these online, and I guess those are more expensive

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish are relatively inexpensive but I have 2 masked gobies from KP Aquatics that were very reasonable. They were secretive in the beginning but now are always out.
dang-sels, if you dare....lol, AND I didn't write Dang

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did see these online, and I guess those are more expensive
Of course, there is no main pricing guidelines that all LFS/online vendors would team up and follow. There is one store near me that is in a wealthy area and they have them for $1,500 +.

There will also be differences in prices depending on size, as well as location as mentioned above.

If I’m not mistaken, there was even a flash sale-one day only sale advertised on here a month or so ago that had Gem Tangs for $250.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer cod, but any inexpensive wild caught whitefish will do, it is all about the breading. All beer batter is not created equal.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mo-Mo! He is always sticking his head out of his barnacle and being cute

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpeg
    IMG_2830.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 69

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looking at my tank right now, it seems as though all of my fish are (relatively) inexpensive. Along with my teenage yellow tang I have a trio of green chromis, 4 lyretail anthias, a clownfish (that I've had since before my oldest was born and she's 17 now... he only has one eye!), powder blue tang, naso tang, scopas tang, tomini tang, and a diamond goby. I love them all!

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me you are in the Houston, TX area.
I believe the ones near me, if they still have the good prices were Petes Aquariums - $389 (yes to shipping), NYAquatic - none on website now and 2 on Long Island, NY (I think Aquarium Shop Westbury was one and the other was farther out and had other interesting pets like flying squirrels, but I don’t think they shipped) … JerseyCorals had them for $320 recently - just checked, now is $519.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back