What is your favorite inexpensive fish?

fishkat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hobby, there are a lot of fish we get to choose from when it comes to our tanks. Sometimes, our favorite fish in our tanks don't always have to be the most expensive ones. I am wondering what is your favorite fish in your tank that doesn't break the bank. Curious to know what everyone says!
long nose hawkfish !

erwin1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hobby, there are a lot of fish we get to choose from when it comes to our tanks. Sometimes, our favorite fish in our tanks don't always have to be the most expensive ones. I am wondering what is your favorite fish in your tank that doesn't break the bank. Curious to know what everyone says!
Hello! Foxface is my favorite inexpensive fish, I think is a beautiful fish, peaceful, and we can find one of this between 95$ to 120$

Attachments

• IMG_5062.jpeg
    IMG_5062.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 24

ChaoticReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater mollies. Cheap. Can tolerate wide range of salinity swings, come in multiple colors. Will pick at algae from time to time. Not picky eaters. I've had mine in temperatures as low as 65 degrees and they didn't die. Truly an all around peaceful fish, that tends to hang in the mid to upper region of the tank.
I just acclimated a few last week cause I thought what the heck why not… I tell you what they are one of the best dither fish I’ve had lol.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my orange tail damsel pair. Granted the female is just plain blue but both are beautiful, and knock on wood pretty peaceful.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon dottyback, got him for $15 and he's the most entertaining sociopath I've ever been around. The way he looks like an eel but also hates everything. 10/10 fish

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer gobies. Use to be called convict gobies. My tank looks different everyday! Oh wait, they're price just went up to $20 dollars at Petco. Maybe I'll have to find another candidate.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one day we will see those fish be cheap again
Maybe less expensive than now, but those old prices are gone forever!

Actually, they're much cheaper now except for a few cases. In 1968 when I first started (and started drawing up my wish lists) The most expensive fish was a clown trigger. It was $180 I've seen some now for $140/ All most all damsels were $4.95. Jawfish was around $15. My engineer goby was $6.95. I got both a french angel and a black angel for around $24 and a koran angel for the same. The price index is now a little more than 10 times the prices in '68. Quit grousing. Not everything "in the good old days " was better. We didn't have corals, salt mix only 1 brand and about the same price as today, ( I've always lived near a coast and would haul all my water from city fishing piers cause that's what I could afford.) my AGA 20 gallon tank (now Aqueon) was $20 some odd dollars. There were no corals, filters were UGF, corner and the only HOB was Metelframe which had just come out and had a magnetic drive which needed to be rebuilt every few months What I do miss most is the in the '60's and '70's we had a MUCH greater variety of fish available at even your local fish store...didn't have to drive to downtown LA to get something other than a damsel. Stores carried more fish than now (Maybe it's just Seattle that doesn't.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back