WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE NUTRIENT EXPORT METHOD?

educatedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nutrient control/export, besides having a protein skimmer, performing water changes, and integrating a refugium to outcompete nuisance algae, is carbon dosing (bio-pellets or vodka) and using GFO the only way of brining nitrates and phosphates down to desirable levels and it is sustainable?
I can’t imagine reefers with 100+ gallons doing water changes often so I’d love to hear everyone’s method/advice

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite nutrient export is to frag & sell coral.

I rely on nutrient recycling moving carbon up the food chain with the microbial loop.

Upvote 0

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What you listed is 99.9999% of nutrient removal in most tanks. My favorite way to reduce nitrates/phosphate is my corals using it to grow.

Upvote 1

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon Dosing with Tropic Marin Bacto Balance !!!
850 Gallon SPS Dominant Reef, With of course my Basket Ball size Green Bubble 10+ Years Old !!!
IMG_1574.jpeg

Upvote 0

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filtration - rollers and socks - is enough to hold the nitrates down for me. I dose lanthanum for weekly for phosphates. I have a big skimmer too, but, mostly to deliver ozone and for gas exchange. I have a algae scrubber that does very little at this point. I do hope that once the phosphates are leached out of the rocks, the scrubber will be enough to hold them down.

IMG_2766.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks, skimmer and chaeto is all I have on my 180g (about 200g total) with large fish fed very well multiple times a day. Along with 4g daily (usually daily) water changes . My smaller tank 40ish gallons filter sock and chaeto only. No skimmer and I have to dose N and P to keep levels detectable.

Upvote 0

Jb2344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filtration - rollers and socks - is enough to hold the nitrates down for me. I dose lanthanum for weekly for phosphates. I have a big skimmer too, but, mostly to deliver ozone and for gas exchange. I have a algae scrubber that does very little at this point. I do hope that once the phosphates are leached out of the rocks, the scrubber will be enough to hold them down.

IMG_2766.jpg
Very nice setup

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back