What is your go to food for your tank?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk about nutrition and what YOU feed your tank!

Its feeding time on the reef and you reach into your fridge, freezer, or cabinet... what are you grabbing and what will your tank be enjoying this meal?

The nutrition of our reefs is extremely important, and looking at it there is more than just fish that usually need to eat during these times, such as our corals and inverts! Of course with that in mind there are probably hundreds of different options on the market to use/try. Some people even make their own food by grabbing ingredients at the local seafood market.

I am curious to hear from you all and see what your go to food is!

For me? I have a Hawiian Cleaner Wrasse who is my pride and joy, but is obsessed with Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes so those are the usual meal that is going into the lagoon through out the day (nutrient packed I know.. but Lucky loves it). I will say though a close second is my arsenal of @ReefNutrition that hogs a whole shelf in the fridge!

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.23.03 PM.png

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to is my homemade food. Fish eat it, corals eat it, everyone gets to enjoy it.

But if I'm feeling lazy, I'll use the Hikari Marine S Pellets.
Whats the recipe... or is it like the Krabby Patty Formula and secret?

spongebob squarepants love GIF

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A variety of fresh seafood salmon mussels scallops clam spirulina powder nls algae max pellets red and green algae sheets and reef roids all blended then froze into sheets. Break of a chunk in a cup add tank water stir until little pieces with a fork and feed. All of my fish go crazy for it.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just LRS and NLS thera A. I had a massive copepod outbreak lately. I've never added copepodes before so something must be working.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Sprinkle fish flakes for the clowns and lemon damsel. Watch them turn into pirhanas. Anticipate disapproving looks and finger wags from judgmental fellow-reefers.

2. Add some mysis for the health-conscious, which also eat as slowly as geriatrics. Silently urge them on, and then shout at them as the food drifts by them as they get distracted by bubble algae. Watch the acans steal the mysis from your pygmy filefish. Then watch the pygmy filefish pick at your acans, enacting very slow, and deliberate, revenge.

3. Your sand-sifter isn't eating. How is it getting its nutrition? Drop it pellets soaked in Selcon. Watch it swallow them...and then spit them right out. Watch it as it waits underneath your other fish...and eat the poop. Cross your fingers and hope that fish poop is more nutritionally-dense that you'd previously thought.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't buy a fish if it can't survive strictly on only PE mysis, regular mysis, and tank algae. Luckily that's most fish...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is an example of my feedings not including flakes and pellets in my Apex auto-feeder:

1618359091303.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example of my feedings not including flakes and pellets in my Apex auto-feeder:

1618359091303.png
Lol. Basically the same as me. A little bit of everything. I do homemade as well.

If it doesn’t eat in my tank, no excuse. The whole smorgish board thrown at it lol.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6oz PE
40 cubes spirulina brine
10 marine cuisine
10 seaweed delight
10 carnivore
5 fish egg
5 emerald entree
4oz LRS reef (not using again)
This will last about a month.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's
LRS Reef Frenzy
Rods
Nori
Seams this variety gives me everything they need. I do use APEX pellets when I go out of town.

On the new tank I plan on getting a Avast Marine Plank so I will have to decide what feed to use with it. I like ti idea of multiple small feedings per day

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish daily 10 various types of Hikari cubes and a nice chunk of Rods. Between the fish food, fish poop and lights the only other thing I feed my corals is phyto and zooplankton of various sizes a couple times a week.

Back