What is your record?

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the longest amount of time a fish has been harassed or bullied by another fish in your reef before finally being accepted and tolerated on the reef ?

I purchased a Red head solon wrasse. The adorned wrasse was not a fan and would chase the solon wrasse into hiding anytime it came out of hiding under a rock. He did the same thing for a clownfish chased him for ( 10 days ) so i thought eventually it would stop. 14 days passed still aggressive. 20 days.......... 25 days ....... finally after 31 days i came home from work and i saw the red head solon wrasse out free swimming on the reef and not hiding so i observed for a few hours . The adorned wrasse would see the solon and did nothing and I WAS SO HAPPY OMG FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLY . 10 days have gone by now and i wouldnt say they are best friends by any mean but there is zero aggression and that is a big win for me !!!

So 31 days ........ what is your record for fish aggression to the point where one has to run and hide ??

Please note i do not advise or recommend fish aggression or situations that are prone to fish aggression or harassment > I did all the research i could on wrasse compatibility and the solon and adorned by all recommendations should have been more tolerant of each other from day 1 . I just got unlucky and have a jerk adorned wrasse haha i mean he bullied a clownfish for 10 days as well so go figure .....

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That is a long time for for a grudge!
My worst mistake was when I added a second halichores wrasse. That ended in 3 dead fish.
Luckily though my naoko was given a day of bullying by half the tank but it is now well accepted as of today!

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That is a long time for for a grudge!
My worst mistake was when I added a second halichores wrasse. That ended in 3 dead fish.
Luckily though my naoko was given a day of bullying by half the tank but it is now well accepted as of today!
Yeah watching this wrasse aggression is making me nervous to add a purple tang to my tank which is the last fish to add off my stocking list.

Currently have 1 Tomini tang in the tank so not sure what this relationship will be like? should be ok on paper but you never know with fish LOL

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish still messes with the lawnmower blenny and they've been tankmates for over 6 months so I assume it'll never stop. He doesn't nip at him he just swims near him and follows him around to show dominance especially at feeding time. Occasionally they'll be near each other like buddies so I stopped worrying about it.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish still messes with the lawnmower blenny and they've been tankmates for over 6 months so I assume it'll never stop. He doesn't nip at him he just swims near him and follows him around to show dominance especially at feeding time. Occasionally they'll be near each other like buddies so I stopped worrying about it.
Well that sounds not too worrysome if they are both out and swim freely. My wrasse was relegated to hiding under a rock for a month . Not sure what changed in the day or two where he just ignores him now? who knows with fish they are funny creatures

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump....... we can do better than two comments guys. Where are the fish aggression stories?

Is 30 days the record for harassment /hiding under a rock? and pulling through the other side and being accepted on the reef with no aggression now ?

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a record. I had a 6 line in my old tank that bullied my tail spot blenny upon introduction. It was my first tank and I freaked at the violence. Tore apart the rocks to catch that guy and returned him in 24hrs.

My two tangs fought for about a week. Now they are cordial neighbors and I'm the frenemy.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a record. I had a 6 line in my old tank that bullied my tail spot blenny upon introduction. It was my first tank and I freaked at the violence. Tore apart the rocks to catch that guy and returned him in 24hrs.

My two tangs fought for about a week. Now they are cordial neighbors and I'm the frenemy.
" cordial neighbors " is the best we can hope for sometimes hahaha

s1oliver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sounds not too worrysome if they are both out and swim freely. My wrasse was relegated to hiding under a rock for a month . Not sure what changed in the day or two where he just ignores him now? who knows with fish they are funny creatures
Yeah it's not a huge deal but I'd prefer the clown leave him be. He chases him under rocks at times but doesn't keep him there so your situation was much worse.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back