What is your skimmer and are you happy with it?

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By finicky....

This skimmer forced me to do something that I'd been meaning to do forever which was adding an ATO unit. If the level in the sump varies "too much" the skimmer will act up. It's all good though. From a turbofloater 1000, to 2 different euroreefs to the BM250 it's one that I'm going to stick with for now.

Oh yeah, I forgot a couple of Aqua skimmers in there too.
I also had a few problems with BM200 also because I didn't have an ATO. Once I had the sump water level constant the skimmer really started working great.

Last edited:

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a few problems with mine because I didn't have an ATO. Once I had the sump water level constant the skimmer really started working great.

isn't the AP600 an external model? the height of water in the sump shouldnt matter as long as the exhaust isn't submerged in the water.

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have size limitations, as I built my sump with an area of constant water level, so it needs to fit in there. Once I get back from vacation, I'll measure the area to see what size the limitation is. I would prefer not to have an external skimmer, and I am really digging the low energy of the ATI (I can use the energy savings to pay for the skimmer!!). Because of the constant water level, it should be ok if the ATI simply likes a constant water level.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used used these at one time or another and still have the last 3.

- Red Sea Prizm Pro - no comment
- CPR Bakpak - noisy as heck. 5 out of 10.
- ASM G1X - just an ok skimmer. 6 out of 10.
- LifeReef SVS3-24 - great skimmer. Easy to use and maintain. 9 out of 10.
- EuroReef CS6-1 - was an average skimmer until I did the gate valve mod. Running on my current 30 gallon SPS tank. 8 out of 10
- Octopus 150 - pretty good skimmer. Performs much better than it looks. Running on my office 24 gallon mixed reef. 8 out of 10.
- H&S A200 - awesome skimmer. Just set it up on my 300 gallon. Love the frothy head of foam. Gravity fed from the overflow. 10 out of 10.

dmjordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a aqua c remora hot on my tank. i want a better skimmer but i need a taller stand first. literally no room inside the stand.

Attachments

• 2007_0118Maryspictures0054.JPG
    2007_0118Maryspictures0054.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 2007_0118Maryspictures0053.JPG
    2007_0118Maryspictures0053.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 97

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASM G2. It works good. I have nothing to compare it to though :( I don't get much skimmate at all but I also do 10 gallon water changes every week ( i have an 80 gallon system total volume ). I HOPE that's why the skimmate is so little.

I DO however get skimmate when I add certain foods such as Phytoplan. so, all in all, I'd say I'm happy with this skimmer.

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I have 10" to play with in the smallest dimension.

Right now I'm bouncing between the Octopus 150 and the ATI 160.

Last edited:

autoponicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
octopus recirculationg 150 (external)......works pretty well with a few mods.....but im planning on changing the way its gravity fed.....works well when cleaned but then performance declines after a few days....\i do notice alot of crap is collected in my filtersock.....so need to change the feed line and see what happens.....probrably gonna plumb it like the picture in the previous post

IMG_0974.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I really don't want something I need to mod right away. Jeeze, are there ANY good, reasonably priced skimmers out there. *grumble*

Charlie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use an ETSS skimmer right now (external) and am pleased with it especially after hooking it up to a larger pump. It has been virtually plug and play since I hooked it up. I am also very familiar with the Octopus line and I think they are about the best bang for your buck out there right now.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nhave a Aqua-C remora powered by a MJ 1200 and I have had no issues with it at all. I get dark skimmate and have to empty the cup 2 times a week....

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nhave a Aqua-C remora powered by a MJ 1200 and I have had no issues with it at all. I get dark skimmate and have to empty the cup 2 times a week....

I have the same skimmer and it was awsome when it was on my tank. I put it on my sump and it doesnt produce much skimate at all now. The water level is about 3 to 4 inches lower from the top of the sump, and it was from the top of the tank .. So im guessing that the added 4 inches the MJ1200 has to push the water up against gravity is lowering the flow to the point where it doesnt work well anymore... Seems like the return flow from the skimmer is about 75% of what it was when in the actual tank. ... Going to move it back to the tank I guess. Or if anyone wants to buy it Ill give a pretty good price :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back