what kalk supplement do you use? Want to supplement my calcium reactor

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tune that reactor to be better. Find your current effluent dKh. Then measure your output in MLs and count the bubbles. Raise both in the same ratio to get the same dKh of the effluent, but just more of it. There is a link in my signature that explains, probably poorly, how to tune a reactor by hand. I like to run effluent around 25 since it really doesn't mess with the tank pH very much by wasting/using too much co2 and is more efficient. Lower or higher is not a huge deal and if a tune comes in at 20 or 30, then I am still happy.

I could tune a Coke can size CaRx to keep up with the a 700g tank completely full of acropora, but the media would need changed VERY often since it would melt very fast with such a small amount. CaRx are only limited when you cannot slow down effluent rate anymore (wide open), which nearly nobody ever gets to.

You probably need to slow down your effluent rate and I would guess that a bubble every 3/4 seconds with a steady stream is producing a very low dKh output.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can tune that reactor to be better. Find your current effluent dKh. Then measure your output in MLs and count the bubbles. Raise both in the same ratio to get the same dKh of the effluent, but just more of it. There is a link in my signature that explains, probably poorly, how to tune a reactor by hand. I like to run effluent around 25 since it really doesn't mess with the tank pH very much by wasting/using too much co2 and is more efficient. Lower or higher is not a huge deal and if a tune comes in at 20 or 30, then I am still happy.

I could tune a Coke can size CaRx to keep up with the a 700g tank completely full of acropora, but the media would need changed VERY often since it would melt very fast with such a small amount. CaRx are only limited when you cannot slow down effluent rate anymore (wide open), which nearly nobody ever gets to.

You probably need to slow down your effluent rate and I would guess that a bubble every 3/4 seconds with a steady stream is producing a very low dKh output.

Thank you!!! I will keep trying

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a second smaller calcium reactor.

BRS pharma grade kalk is what I use in my kalk reactor

I like the 90/10 rule: 90% of uptake is handled my the calcium reactor. The other 10% I use my DOS to dose alk supplement controlled by my trident to keep everything stable.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back