What keeps you into the hobby?

bjmartie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all enjoy so much about the hobby, that keeps you in it?

I'm not very wealthy, I would say I'm middle class in the South Eastern US, which is doing pretty good. But being in the saltwater hobby for maybe 5 months now, I couldn't tell you how much I spent! Then I'm seeing a lot of the tanks on here and there is no telling how much they have spent as well. But for me, I don't mind it all that much and my wife also enjoys it. I just know I have to just her as soon as I get home then I go mess with my tank lol.

But what is it that keeps y'all coming back? Cause I know it isn't cheap.

I think for me, it's watching my corals and fish start to grow and their personalities. I will say it has been a struggle. Set my tank up, then let it cycle. Finally added some fish and corals, then I had ich wioe out 3 fish. So running the tank fallow now with fish in a QT tank. Just recently had dinos run crazy while I was running the tank fallow. Doing black out with some peroxide dosing and it's working wonders. But still with no fish back in it, I'm still excited to get home to my tank and check on it (and wife).

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gives me something to focus on as there is almost always something that needs to be done, tweaked, adjusted etc. The only automation I have is ato, everything else is done manually. Im the type of person who needs something to focus on and reef tanks fill that need.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like any hobby you will constantly throw money at it, if you play golf.. a new stick could cost you £100 upwards and beyond £thousands that sit in the garage for half a year (winter) and you may need 12 of them.
You may also entertain yourself with... Table tennis? Those bats and balls do cost alot, wooden bat and plastic ping pong balls.... Seriously though... You need a machine to serve balls as come on 'who has friends to play with these days' :) lol, lol.
An Xbox or playstation, new mobile phone £500 upwards.... Endless ways to entertain yourself.

For me , When I watch my hermit crab that cost me £3 and see him move into a house (shell) I provided for him in my aquarium, I stare at him and he looks at me, we catch each others gaze.... And at that moment, it may be only a couple of seconds we both know... In that most precious time.... Its payday tomorrow!

Screenshot_2022-10-04-17-37-41-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg Screenshot_2022-10-04-17-36-43-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Yes honestly though, it's brilliant for the mind, looking after all life you add and knowing you have another great responsibility (except children/alongside ) to keep all these guys happy, I watch my aquriam more than t.v. in the few hours I have a day 166490303554768769477385875502.jpg IMG20220923171718.jpg

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The money ive spent. Never going to get that back.
mainly this, but i try to focus more on thinking how far i’ve come. the progress the fish and corals have made, as well as all i’ve learned and encountered.

i like tinkering/fidgeting. maintaining a reef meets this for me. i also have a created gecko enclosure and western hognose snake enclosure where i tinker in as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching my fish and inverts grow and interacting with them. Though I think a lot of it is having something to do and having something to talk to people with. Don't know if I'd be this deep if it wasn't for this hobby. In other words its your fault I've spent so much money HAHA!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back