What kind of Anemone do I need for a 6 gallon fish tank for 2 Spotted Porcelain Anemone Crab?

ArchieFernandes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a starter to saltwater aquariums. I have done all my research and I can't seem to find one thing. What type of Anemone do spotted porcelain anemone crabs need also will it be able to go in a 6 gallon fish tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a starter to saltwater aquariums. I have done all my research and I can't seem to find one thing. What type of Anemone do spotted porcelain anemone crabs need also will it be able to go in a 6 gallon fish tank?
You can fit a BTA in there. Will eventually take everything up though. Just make sure the tank matures before getting any type of nem.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size of tank a flower anemone would probably work best if you wanted more then just one coral.
+1. Having to wait a minimum of 6 months with just a couple crabs would be a drag.

IsaacHunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 gallon is too small for an anemone notwithstanding the tank needs to be mature.

either return them to the shop and swap for a different type of crab or leave them be as they seem to survive in stores without anemones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if the anemone crab will go into these but Bornerman anemone (Phymanthus buitendijki), rock flower anemone (Phymanthus crucifer), Maximini carpet (S. tapetum the larger variety) and Beaded anemone. (H. aurora), Condy (Condylactis gigantea) all do well in nano aquarium. Most of these will eat small fish touch them so you will have no fish in it most likely. All are very beautiful anemones that can live with various shrimp and crabs

None of the conventional host sea anemone will do well in it other than H. aurora. This anemone often for sale at Petco as Zebra or Beaded anemone. It is a small beautiful anemone live in the sand. Grow to about 4 inches. It will host anemone crabs and baby clown fish. Picture from the internet. I will buy one of these whenever I see one from Petco that looks nice.
c299822cc6162d325d06d1a40d0ad31c.jpg

Last edited:

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 gallons is plenty big for some rock flower anemones and a few porcelain crabs/spotted anemone crabs and a some sexy shrimp. I’m in the midst of splitting my 15g nano into two different nanos and all of my Rock Flowers are going into a 7g AIO nano (12” cube).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider using an undergravel filter or protecting the intake from getting clogged by the anemone in such a small tank. although can happen in larger systems too. They move. No predicting where they stop. No flow. All goes bad quickly.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider using an undergravel filter or protecting the intake from getting clogged by the anemone in such a small tank. although can happen in larger systems too. They move. No predicting where they stop. No flow. All goes bad quickly.
While RFAs do move, I’ve never had one move that high up on the glass to get to the overflow. Some tanks like innovative marine AIO have a cutout so that if the overflow is blocked, the display will overflow the top back into the AIO compartment.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if the anemone crab will go into these but Bornerman anemone (Phymanthus buitendijki), rock flower anemone (Phymanthus crucifer), Maximini carpet (S. tapetum the larger variety) and Beaded anemone. (H. aurora), Condy (Condylactis gigantea) all do well in nano aquarium. Most of these will eat small fish touch them so you will have no fish in it most likely. All are very beautiful anemones that can live with various shrimp and crabs

None of the conventional host sea anemone will do well in it other than H. aurora. This anemone often for sale at Petco as Zebra or Beaded anemone. It is a small beautiful anemone live in the sand. Grow to about 4 inches. It will host anemone crabs and baby clown fish. Picture from the internet. I will buy one of these whenever I see one from Petco that looks nice.
c299822cc6162d325d06d1a40d0ad31c.jpg
Not scientific in any way, but I have a smattering of crabs in my nem tank and have never seen them visit the Bornemans (Phymanthus buitendijki), rock flowers (Phymanthus crucifer), Maximini carpet (S. tapetum) or Beaded anemone. (H. aurora).

I've seen the Haitian condy actively move away from one.

@op

I would personally not advise a new reefer to put any of their normal host nems in a 6gallon.

I wouldn't choose to do it myself unless I had a separate larger system from which to do constant small water changes.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While RFAs do move, I’ve never had one move that high up on the glass to get to the overflow. Some tanks like innovative marine AIO have a cutout so that if the overflow is blocked, the display will overflow the top back into the AIO compartment.
I never say never and especially in a six gallon container lacking high walls. My future AIO will have slots in multiple locations. Redundancy just safer because if it can go wrong then best plan to deal with it. I'm risk averse by profession.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the anemones I listed above are fairly easy to keep. Many of them even arrive and survive as a hitchhikers on the rock if you have good rock and take great care and have a very gentle cycle.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back