Is my tank suitable for rock flower anemones

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am in the process of setting up a macro algae anemone aquarium with some cool invertebrates for the anemones to host like porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp.

At least that is the plan. Feel free to check my build thread for more specifics!

My main question is whether my current setup can sustain the anemones. I am using a Seachem Tidal 55 filter for flow and filtration and a full spectrum high powered planted tank light for the macro algae growth.

The HOB produces 250gph of turnover. Would the anemones would benefit from more flow or would this be okay? I am not opposed to adding something like a nero 3 as needed. Also, for the light, here is the PAR data. I am thinking of building my aquascape around some lofty perches for the anemones. Would this amount/spectrum of light work?

1699832886520.png

If the light would considerably hold me back I would probably get an AI Prime and call it day and swap the macro algae for some LPS and softies but I would prefer to be able to have some macro algae.

My best,
Nat

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFAs are usually 30 to 50 feet deep so they don't need much light maybe just blue at that depth. They like low flow. They will move around to find their preferred spot. Mine are all near the bottom. One even stuck its foot in the sand against my glass

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFAs are usually 30 to 50 feet deep so they don't need much light maybe just blue at that depth. They like low flow. They will move around to find their preferred spot. Mine are all near the bottom. One even stuck its foot in the sand against my glass
Hmm that seems to suggest my current setup should be pretty decent for them as long as I create some low lying areas for them to hang out on. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id worry about spectrum maybe.... but should work. The prime would grow macro fine also.
Gotcha! I have a ways to go before the tank is mature enough to add them anyway so I can just run the tank with the light I have for a bit then buy the upgrade once the anemones enter the picture.

doogen3421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a chance the macro would take the nitrates and phosphates too low for the new?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back