What kind of ATO systems do you guys use?

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago my ATO controller went out on me. (it's one from autotopoff.com) Siropa had a spare and that's what Craig & Holly were nice enough to temporarily put onto my system.

That controller lasted about 16 months. What do you guys use for top-off controllers? Since I'm 2,000 miles from my tank, I want to get something with a good track record for longevity. Seems like the only real options are the autotopoff.com's, Tunze osmolator, the ReefFanatic and the JBJ.... Thoughts? Opinions? I tried ordering a JBJ today and my computer glitched during the ordering process. I figured maybe that was a sign saying I should check in and see what you guys are using. ;)

Last edited:

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the osmolator's are almost worry free. I never looked into them though because of the price of them. I figured since I am home most of time I would use something less expensive.

I think Craig and Holly run the osmolator. Its and optical sensor I think instead of the float switch

Eric

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Tunze Osmolator for four years. I love it and would definitely recommend it as being a very reliable piece of equipment. One of the best purchases I've made in this hobby.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I currently use and used for years and years before trying that DIY with the parts I borrowed to you. i've never had a failure or issue with this setup.

SpectraPure Power Liquid Level Controller

I have the switched outlet on it power the powerhead in my kalk tub.

OP
OP
MrSquid

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing about the Spectrapure is the suction cups for mounting it. How does the level detector work on that? Could I zip-tie that to the mount for my current setup? (it's like an upside down J that hangs over the lip of the sump and extends down into the water)

The only thing about the Tunze that scares me is the fact that I've read that the pump gets airlocked easy...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the special effects office. I am sure someone in HOLLYWOOD could help you out movie maker!!!!!! :rap::music::matrix:

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the suction cups. I don't trust that. i've got mine ziptied to a piece of pvc that is securely mounted. it uses pressure to detect the level.

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must be some practical min, but I don't know the exact number. I used to use it in a sump that had maybe 2 gallons in it and was maybe 3" deep.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember mine mike??? i only had one problem with mine cuz i didnt solder the wires on and they lost contact...problem fixed...running for 2 years now with only 1 problem :)

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JBJ has worked great for me. Easy as can be to setup and worry free.

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Tunze Osmolator in our 150g tank and I have JBJ ATO's in both the 75 and frag tanks. I haven't had problems with any of them, but do like the Osmolator the best.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a litermeter III works great. The only reason why I use it over the others is cuz how far away my topoff water is for my tank.

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef fanatic controller, which I am not too partial to. Plus it's suction cup deal, and I pretty much hate that. I also have an DIY one I got from bulkreef. Seems to work pretty darn good.

On the reef i have the osmolator...love it. Now I have had some issues with it where the optical sensor got some build up on it. And I had some kalk gum up the pump once. Both issues were promptly dealt with by Tunze and fixed. I highly recommend it for every reason except the price.

OP
OP
MrSquid

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes the osmolator so %$@#ing expensive? Is it just the Tunze name? What makes it more "lovable" than other setups? I was perfectly happy with my little $40 autotopoff.com unit - or at least until it died. LOL!

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I said too Mike When I saw the price. I have one similar to Bill's. I don't know the name of it and never used it yet. LOL it has the same pressure type sensor. Not to sure how that will works but time will tell.

Eric

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back